What is the best non-surgical way to get rid of a double chin - Kybella, Cool Sculpt, or Ultherapy?

I am a healthy woman of a normal weight but I've always had a double chin, even at my lowest weight in my twenties. Now at 43, having gained a few pounds over the years (but still having a normal BMI for my height), the double chin was become more pronounced over the years, esp. in photos.I have had a couple of consults, but am confused r.e. especially whether Cool Sculpt or Kybella is better in particular, or if only liposuction can really solve the problem in a satisfactory fashion. Thank you

Kybella vs Coolsculpt vs Ultherapy

Well, they all are a little different and a consultation with a board certified facial/plastic surgeon is best.  Kybella gives some tightening of the skin as the fat shrinks and the treatment can be more tailored to suit your individual anatomy than with the coolmini.  Cool sculpting needs a good contact and it really depends how the applicator fits your neck.  Both typically need several treatments to obtain a maximum result.  Ultherapy is really more for skin tightening then for fat removal. And the results of skin tightening with Ultherapy are reported to be variable-as with all non surgical skin tightening machines.  Of course the gold standard is surgery so proper expectations are important and nothing replaces a consultation with an experienced physician.  Good luck.

Kybella vs Coolsculpt vs Ultherapy

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hello Elw123,

There are many treatments for the neck.  A lot of it depends on an in person evaluation.  Liposuction is the gold standard for treating neck fat.  However, it patients over about age 35 the neck does not have enough elasticity to tighten on its own, so you need to have a neck lift to remove the excess skin as well.  Kybella is helpful for removing submental fat, known as the double chin.  It does take at least 2 and up to 4 treatments spaced about 6 weeks apart to get the final result.  Although not approved to tighten skin, it does appear to help tighten the skin.  Cool sculpting is designed to improve submental fat but also does not treat skin.  Ultherapy helps to tighten lax skin (a few millimeters on each side) but it does not address the fat.  So as you can see, each method has its pros and cons.  The best recommendation is to consult with a faical plastic surgeon and learn which treatment(s) would be best for you based on your anatomy.

I hope this helps and good luck.  

Hello Elw123,

I hope this helps and good luck.  

Liposuction better than Coolsculpting or Kybella

Liposuction would almost always be the most effective option for reducing excess fat under the chin, because it is immediate and precise. It can typically be done under local anesthesia with minimal down time if any. Coolsculpting takes time to see the effect, as does Kybella. 

Kybella

Personally, I am partial to Kybella as I feel it allows me to more accurately treat the fat and place more product where it is needed most.  Cool mini for the neck limits the treatment to what will fill fit into the device which I thinks limits some of the precision.

Kybella

Kybella and Cool Sculpting

Thank you for your question elw123. Kybella is the first and thus-far only FDA-approved non-surgical injectable treatment for the double chin. It is difficult to make an assessment without photographs. However both Cool Sculpting and Kybella work well for the double chin. For my patients I recommend Cool Sculpting for severe to extreme fullness and Kybella for mild to moderate fullness. Some people choose to start with a series of Cool Sculpting treatments followed by a series of Kybella treatments. Results are seen slowly over time. Patience is important.

Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Kybella and Cool Sculpting

Kybella

Without seeing you in person, it is impossible to give you a truly accurate recommendation. Having said that, I am a huge fan of Kybella for the right patient. I am seeing some truly amazing results with my patients. I would suggest that you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to be assessed in person. 

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kybella

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kybella/Coolmini/Liposuction

Thank you for your question. All three methods are effective at reducing submental fat. It depends on individual candidacy, skin quality, goals and expectations. I would recommend an in person exam.

Dr. Daniel Ritacca

Kybella/Coolmini/Liposuction

Dr. Daniel Ritacca

Double Chin Treatment / Laxity-- SmartLipo/VASER/ThermiRF, Botox, Venus Legacy, Kybella, CoolMini

In younger patients i find that surgical improvement with vaser/thermiRF do best however kybella with ultherapy is a great alternative.  Please see an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Kybella versus Cool-mini for Submental fat

Thank you for your question since I have a great deal of experience with both methods.  If you have a large amount of submental fat I typically recommend the Cool-mini first since it can reduce this large area and then follow up with Kybella afterwards.  A smaller area of fat is best treated with Kybella.  I typically combine these treatments with Thermage as well to tighten the skin in the neck and jowl area and have the best cosmetic results.  Best, Dr. Green

Kybella vs Coolsculpting

Thank you for your question. Both are very great options. We have both in our practice and will even use both for the same patient. Coolsculpting allows for a broad reduction of a given area and I may recommend someone with a fuller neck profile to start with this approach.  Kybella allows for a more customized approach and can be used to sculpt the neck based on specific nuances of each individual (eg asymmetry).  In addition, I find of the two, Kybella tends to result is some skin tightening.

Kybella vs Coolsculpting