Is there any way I can stop hair shedding due to iron deficiency?

my hair went from thick and a lot to thin and a small amount is all my hair going to fall? im so scared

Doctor Answers 4

Hair shedding with Iron Deficiency

The question is how do you know you are iron deficient and how do you know your hair loss is a result of this?  If this is truly the case, then take iron supplements and correct the iron deficiency which will in turn correct the hairloss.  However, more than likely your hair loss is from a different modality and thus you should be evaluated by a hair restoration specialist that can examine your scalp and give you a more accurate diagnosis with treatment options.

Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 22 reviews

Get treated

If you have a medical condition, then you should be under the care of a doctor for treatment.  If your hair loss is due only to Iron Deficiency, then treating the Iron Deficiency goes without saying.  

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 90 reviews

Hair loss from iron deficiency

If an individual's hair loss is truly from iron deficiency, the remedy is straight forward - supplementation of iron. 

Understanding and interpreting iron levels as it relates to hair loss is complicated. I like patients to have a ferritin level above 40 but levels less than 40 don't necessarily mean low iron is contributing to the hair loss. 

I can't tell you how many times I've heard patients this month alone say "you need a ferritin level of 40 to maintain hair and a level of 70 to grow hair". Such a statement is inaccurate, unsubstantiated and incorrect. 

Iron deficiency can cause hair loss. The solution is to take iron supplements. 

Jeff Donovan, MD, PhD
Vancouver Dermatologist

Hair loss

There are many different causes for hair loss. You need to see your hair restoration specialist or a dermatologist to make a diagnosis for the cause of your hair loss. You may needs do a blood work up to help with the diagnosis. once the diagnosis is established then your doctor can give recommendation as for the treatment option that best suits your need. If you hair loss is genetic, under the supervision of a hair loss specialist, you can start on a medical regiment to slow down your hair loss such as minoxidil, propecia, PRP, laser, vitamins and shampoos. You need to stay on the regiment to see any result.

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 27 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.