Stay in temporary crown or have permanent crown done on nerve damaged tooth?

I need to be re-crowned on my upper front tooth (tooth 1.1) but I suffered nerve damage from first crowning procedure and subsequent root canal on said tooth in 2015. I've been in a temporary crown for a year and I have daily pain with it. Should I stay in current temporary crown, have a new temporary crown made or should I just have the final permanent crown done? I want to be taken out of pain but I'm afraid of making the nerve injury worse! Please help.

Pain with root canal and #crown #DrSoftTouch

Hello there,
I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing pain with your tooth.  It's not uncommon to experience some discomfort after a root canal, but you should not have pain one year later.  I would recommend that you see your dentist for an evaluation.  It's important to determine the cause of the pain before having a permanent crown placed.  Root canal retreatment may be necessary. Good luck and I hope this helps. Follow me if you have more questions.

Sarah Thompson, DMD
St. Louis, MO area (O'Fallon, IL)
Real Self 100

Pain after crown

The tooth should no longer be in pain after the root canal.  After a year this tooth should be healed.   I would recommend you see your dentist for evaluation and determine if the tooth needs any additional procedure prior to any permanent crown.  

David M. Schertzer, DDS
Saint Louis Dentist

Root canal pain

A root canal tooth does not have a nerve and should not hurt. Something is wrong with the tooth. 

You should call your dentist and have the tooth evaluated.  Do not replace the temporary until it is evaluated.