Had septoplasty and turbinate reduction surgery few hrs ago. I have congestion. How long till i can slightly breath again?

I know it takes a week or 2 to breath well but I'm just wondering until I can breath through my nose even a little? I'm having hard time swallowing and I'm hating it. Also how long is the full recovery? I have less than 3 weeks until school and idk what to do?

Thank you for your question. Your symptoms are very typical. Were splints or packing used? These can certainly contribute to the congestion. I expect you'll be doing pretty well within a  week and should be close to normal, if not completely normal, by time school starts in 3 weeks.  Good luck!

Cleveland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Septoplasty post op

I agree with your surgeon who told you it will take 1-2 weeks to breath well.  Your nose just went through surgery which will result in swelling.  So, breathing through your nose will be hard for the moment but will improve in the next 2 weeks as the swelling subsides.  This is different for everyone so be patient.  I expect that you will feel much better by the time school starts in 3 weeks.  Make sure you follow up with your surgeon!

Sunny Park, MD, MPH
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon