What risks or dangers are associated with NeoGraft?

Are there any risks or dangers a patient should be aware of when using NeoGraft?

Risks and dangers associated with NeoGraft

The danger and risks I see associated with NeoGraft is the usual with any procedure such as infection, allergies to anesthetic, bleeding, etc.  This are unusual risks.

The real risks and what I see commonly is Doctor's who do not specialize in Hair Restoration surgery purchasing a Neograft and having unlicensed technicians (Called NeoGrafters) performing the entire surgery. This is a very common practice in Neograft clinics and something to watch out for.  Also, most Neograft cases I see come into my clinic, it seems that the largest punch is used (1.2mm) to make the surgery easier leaving scarring in the back of the patients scalp. In comparison, I do most of my FUE cases with a 0.7mm punch which minimizes any scarring and leaves me with small grafts which can be placed closer to each other giving a much more natural look and density.

I would be much more concerned regarding these risks.

Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

NeoGraft Risks

The NeoGraft Follicular Unit Extraction method offers minimal bleeding and fewer complications than with the "strip" method, a leading competitor. There are complications with every medical procedure. Patients may be at risk to experience discomfort. bruising, swelling, infections and prolonged numbness. Please be sure to consult a board certified hair specialist physician to ensure you receive the highest-quality knowledge, skill care and treatment available.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

What medical risks are associated with a NeoGraft procedure? YES...ALWAYS.

Yes, as with any surgical procedure, there are always risks involved. No exceptions. Ever.

Any medical doctor or practice who tells you there are zero risks to a surgical procedure is not being honest with you.

The NeoGraft is simply a tool that a physician, or more likely a technician, uses to perform a technique of hair restoration called Follicular Unit Extraction, or FUE. Regardless of whether FUE procedure is done with the NeoGraft device, the ARTAS robotic hair restoration system, or with a manual biopsy punch, there are inherent risks to performing surgery on the scalp.

With any form of FUE procedure, hundreds or thousands of puncture wounds in the scalp are created with any/all FUE devices in the donor area. In the recipient area, hundreds/thousands of tiny, but *through the skin* incisions will be made. In each of the areas, the skin is breached hundreds/thousands of times.

This results in a variety of possible complications. Please keep in mind that a surgical practice without any complications from surgical procedures is like a unicorn; it simply doesn’t exist.

In the hands of experienced and dedicated hair restoration surgeons, there are typically no complications. However, NeoGraft is being marketed heavily to cosmetic surgeons, med spa owners, and physicians of every variety with zero experience in the field of surgical hair restoration.  I see practices popping up all over the country; medical offices who perform other types of cosmetic surgery or merely Botox and injectables are acquiring the NeoGraft device and piggybacking on the marketing efforts of the NeoGraft corporation. The rate of surgical complications will clearly increase at such practices, as the experience in the field of hair restoration surgery is limited.

Complications/adverse reactions from any hair restoration procedure, NeoGraft or not, include, but are not limited to the following:
  1. post-operative swelling
  2. post-operative bruising
  3. infection of the head and scalp
  4. over-harvesting of the donor area
  5. permanent numbness, though not common in dedicated centers
  6. shock loss (eg: telogen effluvium), also not common in dedicated centers
  7. hypertrophic scarring (both donor and recipient area)
  8. keloid scarring (both donor and recipient area)
  9. adverse reactions to the anesthetic used (as in, decreased heart rate from the numbing agent, often lidocaine). These are often drug interactions. Your treating physician should carefully review the medications you are currently taking.
  10. there are others; your physician/surgeon is ethically bound to talk about and review with you every and all possible risks of any and all surgeries performed on your body for the duration of your life.

Bottom line: there are risks to any form of surgery. No exceptions. Hair restoration, whether performed with a scalpel or a device like the NeoGraft device, is associated with all the risks of any form of cutaneous surgery. All trained and experienced surgeons know this as a non-debatable fact.

Ken Anderson, MD
Atlanta Hair Restoration Surgeon

Risks & Dangers with NeoGraft is Minimal

The Neograft procedure is a very minimally invasive procedure and risks are rare.  Although with any type of procedure, there are risks of pain and infection which is unusual.  Loss of transplanted hair is a risk but unusual if post procedure care instructions are followed carefully.  

David L. Robbins, MD, FACS
West Des Moines Plastic Surgeon

Top 4 Risks Associated to NeoGraft Hair Transplant

As with any surgical procedure, there are always risk involved in undergoing hair restoration with the NeoGraft FUE technique. Because the procedure involves puncturing through the protective skin, the body is exposed to risk for infection. As with any other procedure, there is risk for allergic reaction to the anesthesia medication or risk of bleeding, post-operative swelling and bruising.

Specific to the NeoGraft procedure, risks include:
  1. raised scarring
  2. numbness over transplantation sites
  3. over harvesting at donor site
  4. poor transplantation uptake
For this reason, it is important to thoroughly qualify potential hair restoration centers. The physician should have extensive experience in hair restoration using this technique and should have a proven record of consistent outcomes. Fortunately, complication rates are very low for qualified and experienced physicians utilizing this procedure.

Julio F. Gallo, MD
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Same as any hair transplant risk

Neograft is only a tool used in FUE surgery.  The risks associated with Neograft carry the same risks associated with a hair transplant surgery.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

No Risks!

Hair transplantation is done under local anesthesia. There are no scaples or sutures used. The patients can return to work the next day. There is minimal discomfort. I have done this procedure myself and have returned to the operating room the next morning without using any pain medicines.

Risks with Neograft

Neo graft is an instrument that is used to do FUE.  Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) is a revival of the old punch technique obtaining donor hair with a small circular cutting instrument. These punches are used to harvest follicular units one at a time from the donor area. Each harvest or extraction creates a small circular scar.  Since this is a blind extraction from the surface, There are always some collateral damage to the surrounding hair thereby limiting the safe donor hair.   Neograft has a bigger tip therefore leaves even larger circular scars and damaging more collateral hair.   Since this does not require any training, many clinics that do not specialize in hair transplantation get these instruments and use it as a side job.  Since your donor hair is limited, if the extraction is not done by a hair restoration specialist you may use up most of your donor with out getting any improvement from hair transplantation.

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

Neograft Risks

The risks involved with Neograft are minimal compared to more invasive hair transplant surgery. Because Neograft is non invasive, the risks are low and involve bleeding, possible infection etc. If you choose a specialist in Neograft hair restoration, the risks will also be minimalized because safety and ethical practices will already be in place and closely monitored within a reputable establishment.

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Risk and complications of NeoGraft

Just like any surgical procedure, NeoGraft carries potential risks and complications such as infection, bleeding, poor take of the transplanted grafts, adverse reactions to anesthetics used during the procedure.  Likely, all of the above things are extremely rare.  In many years of using NeoGraft, I have not see any of these potential complications. 

Victoria Karlinsky, MD
Manhattan General Surgeon