Can Rhinoplasty get my real nose back? (Photo)

Bike wreck when young and demolished my nose. I broke all 3 bones in my nose and cartilage. Septoplasty early teens. Needless to say, my nose has been too large for my face and has appeared amorphous most of my life. I always wondered what my face/nose would have looked like naturally... if I had never broken it. Would a doctor be able to look at pictures of me before my accident and reconstruct my nose to how it would have naturally appeared if it had never been broken?

Think in terms of making it better, rather than making it how it would have been.

It's impossible to know what your nose would have looked like had you not had the trauma, but it *is* possible for you to know how you would like to change your nose from its current appearance.

From the one photo you posted, the nose looks long, with the tip drooping down, and somewhat wide. Elevating the tip of the nose, in expert hands, is one of the more predictable changes to make in a rhinoplasty, even when there has been previous surgery. 

What you are asking for, however, is not easy. No rhinoplasty is. Be sure to click on the "Web reference" link below my post for a good discussion on how to stay out of trouble while searching for a rhinoplasty surgeon.

I usually make computer morphs when I'm answering questions like this, to show the changes that are possible for your nose with a rhinoplasty, but unfortunately the one photo you submitted isn't good enough for making morphs. At the *very* bottom of the Web reference page is a link to instructions on taking photos that are most useful for online consultations like this, and instructions on sending more complete photos if you'd like a more complete evaluation.

Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

It is important to realize that your teenage, pre-accident nose, wasn't completely formed yet so no, there would not be a way to recreate it nor would you want to. It probably wouldn't fit your face now. However, a rhinoplasty can help to address the issues that you currently have with the appearance of your nose and create the ideal nose for your current, mature face. Hope this helps.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty or Nose Job to Change Your Nose Shape

This a question we hear from time to time.  What many patients do not understand is that our noses grow and change well after puberty and sometimes into our early 20's.  Many times patients think their nose shape is the result of trauma when they were young but when we look at their "family" nose, it is evident that the trauma had nothing to so with the current shape.  Regardless, the goal now should be to give you a shape that fits your face and a shape that you would like and can live with.  

From your photos, it should not be a problem to get a pleasing shape for you you with a rhinoplasty or nose job.  You should see a plastic surgeon who has experience with rhinoplasties and make sure that you express exactly what your ideal nose for your ace would be.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Repairing nose after having prior nasal fracture and septoplasty

It isn't really feasible to fully recreate what your nose looked like before your injury, nor accurately project what it would have looked like as an adult after seeing photos of it as a teen (before your injury).

What is most helpful is to determine what features of your current nose you don't like and then finding out how much of that can be changed.

This can involved narrowing wide nasal bones and refining the tip for example.

An in person examination and consultation would be a good next step. At that visit you could also have digital simulations done to see what type and level of changes you'd like to make.

You can read more about about rhinoplasty at my web reference link below.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Prfojecting What My Nose Would Look Like Without Trauma at a Young Age

It is almost impossible to project what a young man's nose would look like after puberty.  Having said that I feel it is much more productive to critique an individual's nose before surgery and establish reasonable goals and expectations at that time. In your case you want a smaller nose with better definition whether or not that is what would have happened with physical maturity.

Can rhinoplasty get my real nose back?

A rhinoplasty procedure cannot make your nose go back to its original position exactly. More importantly is to have specific ideas upon what changes you wish to make to your nose moving forward.  In addition, a full set of photographs are required to make any determination about what can and cannot be accomplished, since the nose is a three-dimensional structure. For example, A rhinoplasty procedure can accomplish narrowing and straightening the bridge line with osteotomies, shaving down the dorsal hump which is composed of both bone and cartilage, lifting the nasal tip slightly, and narrowing and adjusting the tip as well. Cartilage grafts are sometimes required when there's a significant asymmetry in the nose, the most common of those grafts are called a spreader grafts, and are placed underneath the upper lateral cartilages in the mid-portion of the nose. Digital computer imaging performed time in the office consultation would be helpful to understand what can be accomplished with your nose on your facial features. For many before and after examples of rhinoplasty to repair a broken nose, please see the link and the video below

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for the question and at a consultation with an expert in the field who uses digital photography you will be able to see what can and what cannot be accomplished with your nose and learn how it might be accomplished

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Nasal evaluation

Hello and thank you for your question.  The best advice you can receive is from an in-person consultation.  With that being said, based on your photograph, you may benefit from nasal reconstruction/rhinoplasty.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Getting nose back after trauma

I am confident you could make improvements in your nose with a rhinoplasty. However, i would recommend that you focus on having a nose that fits your face now and not get hung up on what would have been if you didn't fracture. It's very hard to recreate a nose to the exact shape that was before a trauma.

I would recommend you find a surgeon with experience in rhinoplasty and discuss your concerns and perform image morphing of your photos to give you realistic expections on the outcome from your surgery

Marcelo Antunes, MD
Marietta Facial Plastic Surgeon