Is a revision surgery necessary after 6 months of gynecomastia?

I am almost 6 months post operation, (excision of very small gland and liposuction). Results so far are good but i still feel a little bit of lumpiness and the chest is still a bit swollen. My question is that is it usually the case that 6 months should be enough for the complete results or should I consider a revision surgery to pull out any remaining tissues or fluid? Thank you very much indeed.

Post-Op Healing Issues

BRUISING AND SWELLING: Bruising and swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. The compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will heal. NUMBNESS: It is normal to experience numbness around the areola and chest. As your body heals, you may notice random bursts of pain in your chest. This is usually a sign that the numbness is subsiding. LUMPINESS: As you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue.

Six months after gynecomastia surgery is a revision necessary?

Thank you for your question and at six months you have most likely reached the point that you will see little change from here on out.  The scarring may soften some but I would not expect much change at this point.  If you still have questions then I would recommend you see your surgeon again and discuss the issues you still are still concerned about.

John D. Smoot, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Needs a check

Have a recheck with your doctor.  It may be time to have a revision or your doctor may find that additional healing will still occur.

Thank you for your question. Now that you are six months out, you're likely starting to see your final results. Areas of liposuction take 6-9 months for the swelling to improve fully.The decision whether to perform a revision surgery depends on careful physical examination. I would have another visit with your plastic surgeon to discuss your results.

Congratulations on having undergone the gynecomastia corrective surgery. Based on your description, it sounds like you are doing well overall. At this point, six months post, you are likely seeing the final outcome or very close to it.  Of course, some incision line firmness is to be expected until the scar has matured;  this may take a year or longer.
 Generally, patients considering revisionary surgery should weigh the pros/cons associated with additional surgery carefully.  There is always risk associated with even relatively "minor" surgery.  For example, care must be taken to avoid over resection of tissues, in the effort to achieve perfect chest contour.  It is prudent to remember you saying: "the enemy of good is better".
 Follow up with your plastic surgeon who will always be your best resource for accurate assessment and advice.  Best wishes.

Is a revision surgery necessary?

Thank you for sharing your question.  In most cases of small gynecomastia correction you will have reached your long-term results by six months.  I would return to your surgeon and voice your concerns. With an in-person examination your doctor can identify any residual swelling that needs time to resolve or if the remaining tissue present will require a revision to correct.  Hope this helps.