When Can I Return To Work After A Vaginoplasty?

How soon can I go back to work after surgery?

Return to Work after Vaginoplasty

Depends on how much work was done and what type of activity is involved with your job. For a desk job, most women are back to work in 2-3 days. For an active, on-your-feet-all-day job, 3-4 days. These are general observations of my clientele.

When can I return to work after vaginoplasty?

Depends on exactly what you had done, and what type of work you do...  Ask your operating surgeon who knows much more about your specific situation than we do!

That said, click on the link below for general details about RECOVERY from my blog; also explore the Genital Cosmetic Surgery drop-down for muc more interesting stuff, including a Video where I discuss recovery...
GENERALLY, you should wait 1-2 weeks before going back to sedentary work, 3 weeks before going back to vigorous work, and 1 month before heavy lifting, swimming, cycling, heavy lifting (just an estimate...)

Michael P Goodman MD

Working after a Vaginoplasty

Thank you for your question.  Most women return to work and their daily commonly-done actions after 2 or 3 days, although sexual activity and tampon use should not resume for at least 6 weeks. Specific exercises such as vaginal (expanding/enlarging) and scar massage may be put into place during this period. You should also avoid baths, swimming and hot tubs during your recovery period.Dhaval M. Patel Double board certified Plastic surgeon Hoffman Estates BarringtonOakbrook Chicago

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Returning to Work After a Vaginoplasty

Generally, patients are able to walk comfortably within a few days and can return to work within a week following a #Vaginoplasty. Swelling can persist for several weeks.
Patients return to most normal activities immediately after surgery with the exception of activities that will create direct pressure on the area, such as certain exercise equipment and sexual activity. It will be necessary to refrain from these forms of physical activity, including sex, for approximately 4-6 weeks.
Postoperative care will usually consist of sitz baths or soaking the area in warm soapy water starting approximately 2 days after a surgery. The sutures will dissolve over the course of several weeks. Swelling can persist for two or three months and ice can reduce swelling.

How long before return to work

If you have had the outside of your vagina or labia worked on, I would wait 10-14 days before returning to work.  If you had the inside of your vagina tightened, I would plan for a full 2 weeks.  Hope this helps!

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD