Getting the rest of my money back for Breast Augmentation Surgery?

The day of my pre-op there was nothing within the paperworks that I had signed about not getting a refund. The only thing that was in there was that I would not be getting the deposit back. I'm ok with that. I've contacted them several times and it's like they don't care. The office manager or something like that replied back. And I let her know that half of my money back is unacceptable. She replied back again and in the end of her email says, "and this is the end of this discussion." Very Rude

Money Back for Breast Augmentation?

Most reputable practices will provide you with a written form that clearly outlines their financial policies before you even sign up for surgery. Very often this is included with your original surgical price quote. It is important to do this so that there are no misunderstandings after the fact. In addition, strictly enforced requirements such as smoking policies, cancellation and rescheduling policies, should be fully explained and provided to you in advance, again so there are no misunderstandings afterwards. Well run professional offices will try to ensure that these details are clearly communicated or least clearly outlined in their paperwork. Ultimately it is the patients responsibility to understand what these policies entail. 

Apparently your surgery was canceled shortly before your scheduled surgery date when you informed the office that you were still smoking. Most surgeons do not make cessation  of smoking a requirement before breast augmentation surgery, but smoking can potentially increase some risks, and every surgeon will establish their own policies for smoking and surgery. Still, if their policy is that your surgery will be canceled if you fail to stop smoking, this should be unambiguously explained to you prior to your scheduling surgery and the consequences, such as not refunding surgical payment, should be made very clear prior to your signing up for surgery as well. In a situation in which the surgeon cancels the surgery for a medical reason (which would include smoking), it seems somewhat harsh and punitive to refuse to refund you money. 

All that said, there can be situations in which a practice will not refund some or most of the fee, particularly if the patient cancels the surgery without a documented medical reason or other obvious circumstances (such as death in the family) that would justify canceling or rescheduling the surgery. If the specific policies were not provided to you before signing up for surgery, you may have grounds for taking further action to get your money returned. 

Surgery Cancellation Refund Policy

Each Plastic Surgeon will have their own financial policies. Typically this is posted on a website and provided for the patient as well. Cancellation policies around surgery bookings will often depend on the amount of notice given and if the cost of staffing/OR fees can be recouped. I recommend that you review the specifics of your situation and agreement with the Plastic Surgeon so that you can better understand what your options are.

All the best

Refund policies

should be in writing, plain and simple.  Also wording of your fees paid make a huge difference in whether you can get it back or not.  Check your paperwork or ask them to show you where it says you will not get anything back?  If its not there, you should get everything back and the surgeon will learn from that.  If its there, you have to adhere to the guidelines laid out.  But if your fees went to surgical fees (and not scheduling fees), you can get all of it back since no service was provided.  You may have to go to small claims court to do this but most savvy surgeons know all this stuff already.  Finally, you have social media to vent on as long as you stick to the facts.  No surgeon wants bad reviews on-line for the whole world to see so they should be motivated to some extent to simply refund you what their policy allows for.

Curtis Wong, MD

Refund?

I am not sure in your question, but it sounds like you have decided to not have the surgery.  It is generally customary to not return the deposit and it some cases, if the surgery is not canceled by a certain date then it possible to loose the entire amount as the time block off cannot be filled in time.   You should carefully reviewed the paperwork as suggested and also ask for a copy of the office financial policy.  This is office a separate document.  

Wants her money back

I am not sure I understand your question exactly. Generally, if patients cancel their surgery after a certain date, they forfeit their deposit. Most offices have written policy regarding this issue. However, there is typically room for negotiation. My own policy is to always treat patients as fairly as possible. If a patient has a change of heart, and does not want to go through with surgery, I would usually refund all of their money except for the nonrefundable deposit. I suggest you communicate directly with the doctor and not his office staff regarding this issue. Good luck.

Neal Handel, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Need to review paperwork

You will need to carefully review the paperwork regarding your refund, and I suggest sending your request via certified mail.