Can you remove an asian rhinoplasty implant, after 20 years?

I am having pain in between my eyes. i had an asian rhinoplasty in korea about 20 years ago with an implant and extra ear cartilage added to the tip of the nose. I would like to remove it altogether and not have anything else added. Is that a possibility? or is my skin too stretched out now to do that? will i be left with a saddle nose deformity?

Implant removal

Thanks for your question. It is certainly possible to remove a rhinoplasty implant placed 20 years ago. You may however need to have cartilage added from another area to replace the loss of support that the implant was providing. Your best option would be to seek a consultation from a board-certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options. Good luck and all the best.

Ottawa Plastic Surgeon

Removing implant

You should be able to remove it if your skin elasticity is still quite good - if it is silicon it will be easy to remove

An in person consult will be needed to determine exactly what can be done.  The implant can be removed, but your pain may be due to other sources. 

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Asian Rhinoplasty - Reversal

It would be possible to remove the silicone implant and the tip graft. Often times once removed, I proceed to reconstruct with autologous cartilage from the septum or the ear. Your pain may be due to other sources.  It best to see a specialist rhinoplasty surgeon for an assessment first. Hope this is helpful.

Asian Rhinoplasty - implant removal

An in-person examination would be necessary for your case. An Asian rhinoplasty specialist will be able to comprehensively address the issues you have with your nose.

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Removing nasal implant and tip graft

It's hard to say for certain in your case, but it is normally possible to remove a silicone bridge implant if you wish. Depending on your skin thickness and the amount of extra skin there may be issues with the skin fully shrink wrapping over the area. I'd need to examine your nose in person to get a better assessment of that aspect.Similarly, you could potentially also remove the tip cartilage graft.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD