Recommendations for more of an hourglass shape? (photos)

Is there anything I can do (ab lipo) to change my boxy rectangular shape into an hourglass figure? As you can see, I'm quite thin. Thanks!

More of an Hourglass Shape?

So yes you are quite thin, a condition that many wish they could achieve. What it implies though, is that you are really seeing your basic musculoskeletal body shape with minimal fat layer. This can't be changed other than by further muscle development which typically wouldn't give you a more feminine shape. If you gained weight by adding fat on top your underlying musculoskeletal frame, you may achieve more of an hourglass shape. Where you gain that weight will largely be determined by your genetics, and while many women will trend toward the traditional hourglass type figure, it is not true for everyone. So you might be better off by coming to a better appreciation of your lean figure. Whatever you do, don't let anyone liposuction your abdomen. You have a very thin fat layer and liposuction would only result in adherence of your skin to the underlying muscle which looks very unnatural. 

Recommendations for more of an hourglass shape?

You are in great shape. I'm sure most of my patients would love to have that shape. But as to your question, you are "short waisted" meaning the distance from your lowest rib to the top of your pelvis is very short and that is the only space that is available for a narrow waist. One technique that has been used (rarely) is to remove one or two of the lowest ribs. I would not recommend that. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

IMO someone self-described as "quite thin" is unlikely to benefit from liposuction or fat transfer.  Strengthening your obliques with exercise may be the only method of improving your waist shaping but I would not recommend any surgery or laser treatment.  

Jon A Perlman MD FACS 

Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery 

Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV

Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016 

Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Hourglass Figure

If you have some available fat around your waist and love handle region then you may be able to obtain a more hourglass figure with fine detailed liposculpting. Come visit.  

Justin Yovino, MD, FACS

You look great!

You look great, don't do a thing.  You have full breasts that match your hips!  Don't over analyze or compare yourself to anyone.  You are fine.

Dr. Dillon

Paul C. Dillon, MD

Recommendations for an hourglass shape?

Far more important than deciding if liposuction is for you is the skill and experience of your plastic surgeon. Choose your surgeon rather than the technique and let him explain why one technique may be better than another and if you need a tummy tuck. Many board certified plastic surgeons provide a free first time consult and you should take advantage of that! See the below link on some suggestions on finding the most qualified Plastic Surgeon for you!

Thank you for your question and photo. Unfortunately this photo is distant and side and back views would've been helpful. You look very fit with minimal fat in this frontal view. VASER Hi Definition Liposuction can improve your figure and reveal a more athletic and feminine torso. Treating the abdomen alone will not give you the desired results, need to treat the whole torso. This is a specialized procedure, most surgeons do not do it, since they are trained in debulking or fat removal liposuction only. I trained with Dr. Alfredo Hoyos of Bogota, Colombia, the inventor of the technique. It is imperative that you see a board certified plastic surgeon who is trained in the technique, otherwise you can have disastrous results. Good luck.

An 'hourglass' shape is mostly a genetic gift

The ratio between waist to hips (small ratio means more 'hourglass') is determined by skeletal features and length of torso and is a genetic trait - liposuction can accentuate this ratio to some degree by making the waist appear narrower relative to the hips and buttocks.

Recommendations for Hour Glass Shape--VASER Hi Definition Liposuction / Body Contouring with Fat Grafting

It's difficult to really tell from photos. I recommend a consultation with a 4D HI DEFINITION contouring specialist to discuss the results you would like to achieve. A combination of liposculpting and fat transfer would be options. See an expert. Best, Dr Emer

Liposution for a foxy shape

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

• Unless you have fat to remove, liposuction will not help you.
  • It seems to me that you already have a lovely shape -
  • Your waist is very defined, your breasts full.
  • Is it possible to just appreciate and enjoy who you are and how you look?
  • There are many shapes that are beautiful - the fashion now is the 'hour glass look of big breasts and hips with a small waist" but wait a year or two and another shape will be in style.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS