What can I do about my receded mandible and maxilla? (photo)

I currently have braces and haven't discussed anything regarding jaw surgery as my orthodontist said braces will correct the overbite. However, I think I want to explore the possibility of achieving better facial balance. It seems I have a recessed maxilla and a receded lower jaw. What can I do about this? What exactly would jaw surgery entail and time frame in terms of recovery?

Doctor Answers 1


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
see a qualified Orthognathic surgeon for proper treatment planning. You may need to reverse what has been done by your current orthodontic treatment. 

New York Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 19 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.