Are these realistic expectations for a nose with a fairly large dorsal hump? (photos)

I have a very small feminine face, however, I have a nose that looks terrible from the profile. I have a huge dorsal bump. I'm okay with how it looks in the front BUT I would like the top brought up a little bit maybe with a lip lift in conjunction. I would really like it to be slightly upturnt with ski slump so I am seeking a surgeon who isn't afraid to do slightly aggressive work. I'm looking to get this done within the next few months. Thank u!

Dorsal Hump Removal Expectations

It's hard to say for certain if your first before and after simulation is realistic based on just seeing your photos. There are limitations as to how much bridge tissue can be removed as we need to make sure that your skin can properly redrape. If your skin isn't too thick then it should be able to shrink wrap well.

The best option for you is to visit with some rhinoplasty specialists to see what your options are.

In the meantime you can learn more about bridge bump removal at my web reference link below.

Are these realistic expectations for a nose with a fairly large dorsal hump?

Yes, your expectations and realistic and can be accomplished by rhinoplasty specialist.  It is important not to over-resect the dorsum and turn the tip up too much, since it will look operated upon  and unnatural. The dorsal hump is composed of both bone and cartilage which must be shaved down in order to remove it.  Osteotomies will be required to be placed in the nasal bones to narrow the bridge line and close the open roof created from the hump removal.  The nasal tip may need to be adjusted slightly to match the new dorsal bridge line.  Rhinoplasty is the most  difficult surgery to perform correctly in the entire field of cosmetic surgery, so choose your Surgeon very wisely based on extensive experience producing natural results.  Digital computer imaging can be performed in the office setting to  give patient's a better idea what can be accomplished with the procedure.   For more information, and many before and after rhinoplasty examples, please see the link and the video below

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question and photographs.

I recommend that you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty to have a nasal examination performed and a review of your medical history to see if you are a good candidate for rhinoplasty. Based on the photographs you have posted, I believe you may benefit from a dorsal hump reduction and tip rhinoplasty to achieve your cosmetic goals. A dorsal hump can be removed by cutting out the extra cartilage along with filing of the bone to smooth out the bump. A tip rhinoplasty includes trimming the lower lateral cartilages and placing precision sutures to refine the tip and make it look more pleasing. Best of luck in your endeavors.
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. You may also benefit from a cephalic rotation of your tip to turn up your tip slightly and a dorsal hump reduction.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Rhinoplasty candidate

Yes this can achieve, I would suggest a slightly less agressive surgery if you want a natural result, but it can certainly be done. 

Luis Eduardo Redondo, MD

Rhinoplasty Concerns

Thanks for your post and congratulations on your search for professionals who may help you with enhancing the appearance of your nose. You are an excellent candidate to consider primary rhinoplasty. Your goals seem realistic, but are also best refined via an in person consultation with a trusted Facial Plastic Surgery Specialist. Your challenge will be to find the best, experienced and reputable rhinoplasty surgeon to consult with. Evaluate the actual patient results, not just the computer imaging studies, to help you select someone you feel comfortable with and can offer you a natural rhinoplasty. Best wishes. 

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon