Is there a procedure to extend the length of the inner eyelid? (photos)

My eyes have always been my biggest insecurity because they look so close together. My optician says it's a combination of slight esotropia but also of the shape of my inner eyelid which gives the impression that they are even closer together than they are. Is there a procedure to lengthen the inner eyelid?

Epicanthoplasty

Epicanthoplasty is a procedure that a lot of people will talk about, but very few people do...and that is for one reason:  results are almost never as good as you would like them to be. The diagnosis made is correct: you have a wide nasal bridge and epicanthal folds. However, the folds are a minor contributing factor. You will not get a substantial improvement even with the best results. Furthermore, its more likely, that the scar may be more conspicuous that you are happy with.

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Reducing the epicanthal fold

You are referring to the procedure of epicanthoplasty. This can diminish the look of the fold by removing skin and thereby retracting the fold inward toward the nose.

It does result in a scar that will fade with time. 

Thomas Buonassisi, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Epicanthal fold

You have a fold of skin, sometimes called third eyelid, in the area of eyelids close to the nose. This is relatively frequent in Asian population. Correction can be achieved by removing or diminishing the fold by means of epicanthoplasty.

You should consult an experienced plastic surgeon or an oculo-plastic surgeon (someone with experience in Asian eyelid surgery) for detailed clinical evaluation and discuss your options. Good luck. 

Zoran Potparic, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Epicanthal folds

Epicanthal folds may be revised using several different procedures to rearrange the skin of the epicanthal folds. One risk is that the incision lines may be visible for a prolonged period of time. Be sure to seek the help of an Oculoplastic surgeon who will be familiar and skilled with this type of surgery.

Sara A. Kaltreider, MD
Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Epicanthoplasty: procedure to extend the length of the inner eyelid

You are likely referring to epicanthoplasty. See link below for more information. See an oculoplastic specialist.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon