How Does One Prepare for Vaginal Rejuvenation Surgery?

What should somebody who is preparing to have this surgery know? Are there any specific pre/post-op tips that will help one's journey be as smooth as possible?

Vaginal Rejuvenation

The process is very simple. We are very accurate at determining what you need. For example, you would come for your comprehensive consultation on one day and the surgery would be the next day. You could return home on the fourth day after surgery. You can’t return to work in 4 to 7 days depending upon the type of physical activity required by your job. Most patients can return to work in seven days.
The main complaint that patients complain of is constipation because the pain medications are constipating. It is important that you use Colace, which is a stool softener, Fruits, Vegetables and fluids to minimize the problems with constipation.
Your body will be healed in six weeks. We recommend that you do not start exercising until after six weeks. Please keep in mind that you will be up working, shopping and doing other routine daily activities rather quickly.
It is important that you completely heal and you can resume sexual activity in six weeks. We recommend for the first several times when you engage in sexual activity that you use a lubricating jelly such as KY jelly. This can help assist in the ease and comfort of sex. Remember that your vaginal and structures have been reconstructed. LVR® increases vaginal muscle tone, contractile force, decrease of the internal and external diameters and it builds up the perineal body thereby enhancing sexual gratification. The vagina is accommodating.

How to prepare for your vaginal rejuvenation?

This is a routine discussion with all of my vaginoplasty, labiaplasty, hymenoplasty and perineoplasty patients. Keep the area clean using a dilute antibacterial soap in a spray bottle. I prefer chlorhexidine (Hibiclens). Get a cushion with an opening in the center for comfort when sitting. If you're prone to constipation, stock up on fiber, prunes/prune juice and stool softeners. Wear loose clothing to your surgery.

Preparing for vaginal rejuvenation surgery

Preparing for surgery is very important to the final outcome. Below are some general guidelines we give our patients prior to surgery:14 Days Before Your Surgery:
  • DO NOT smoke cigarettes. If this seems unusually cruel and unfair, please discuss this with Dr. Firouz personally. It is THAT important!
  • DO NOT take Aspirin, Motrin, Advil, Ibuprofen Naprosyn or Aspirin-containing compounds. Be careful; many medications sold over the counter contain small amounts of aspirin. Aspirin interferes with coagulation and can cause excessive bruising or bleeding after the operation. Tylenol is OK.
  • DO NOT take any Vitamins, Herbal Supplements, or any other medications not listed in your medication pack, unless approved by your doctor in advance. Tylenol is OK. 
7-10 Days Before Your Surgery:
  • DO NOT drink alcoholic beverages. Alcohol may thin out the blood and interferes with some of the medications that are given during and after the surgery.
  • DO NOT run any type of marathon or do any crazy fitness workouts (ie. crossfit competitions, etc)
Post-Surgery:
  • DO NOT engage in physical strenuous exercise or activities, or swim, until your surgeon has instructed you that is safe to do so.
  • DO NOT DRINK alcohol or smoke cigarettes for 2 weeks after surgery. Alcohol may thin out the blood and cause more bruising and bleeding. Alcohol interferes with some of the medications that are given during and after surgery. Smoking is absolutely NOT permitted for at least 2 weeks after surgery.
  • NO aspirin products, Advil, Ibuprofen, Motrin or Aspirin-like drugs for 2 weeks after surgery. Be careful; many medications sold over the counter contain small amounts of aspirin. Aspirin interferes with coagulation and can cause excessive bruising or bleeding after the operation. Tylenol is OK.
  • DO NOT take any vitamins, herbal supplements, or any medications not listed In your medication pack, unless otherwise approved by Dr. Firouz – for 2 weeks after surgery.
Again, these are our basic pre- and post-op surgery guidelines to help our patients get the best results possible from their surgery. Please note that every surgeon has slightly different guidelines, so please make sure you get thorough instructions from your surgeon prior to your surgery. Good luck!

Jimmy S. Firouz, MD, FACS

How do I prepare for vaginal rejuvenation surgery? Preop and post op.

Make sure you are having the right operation for the right anatomic defect by an experienced surgeon.  If you have specific medical issues such as diabetes or high blood pressure, there will be specific recommendations by your doctor. The key thing overall to assure a good recovery will be rest during the post operative period.  Make certain you have plenty of time away from physical activity. This should be two weeks of decreased activity and two months of no sex.   Its generally OK to bathe or shower after the surgery but make sure you are not straining yourself or doing anything that hurts.  Take your pain medication as given and also some stool softener.  If you notice a foul smell you may need antibiotics.  Chamomile tea kept refrigerated in a spray bottle can decrease pain and infection when sprayed on the outside.  Also available is Dermaplast spray which can be used liberally.   Good Luck!

A great question and one that is not as simple to answer.  First and foremost every patient is different and therefore pre op needs would be different. Medications and medical history is of the utmost importance in preparing someone for surgery.If you are not taking any medications that might interfere with bleeding or healing then I would recommend not drinking alcohol for at least 24 hours prior to surgery and hydrating as much as possible.I would also start loading up on high fiber foods or purchasing stool softeners or fiber supplements.I would also discuss any vitamins or herbs you are taking with your surgeon prior to the procedure.
Best of luck.

Pre operatively I advise you to be off any NSAIDS (Advil, etc) or asprin for about 5 days prior to surgery in order to reduce any bleeding.  Other than a good shower pre op there is no other prep.  Post operatively I advise you to use a "do-nut" ring to sit on so as not to put pressure on the area.  Also a gentle wash with a perineal bottle such as is used post delivery is advised for cleansing. Most of all there should be no sex or use of tampons for at least 4-6 weeks or as directed by your physician.