Should I be nervous about ultra high profile implants?

My plastic surgeon measured my chest and told me my chest is very narrow and I'm very petite. He gave me two implant size options, but both were ultra high profile. He said the fullness would need to go out instead of in width because my chest is too small. They're ultra high profile, and I went with the bigger size. I don't know the CC's, but I'm really worried it will cause a shelf looking appearance in my upper breast. I'm 5'5", 32A, and 114lbs.

High profile breast implant considerations #plasticsurgery

High profile implants place a larger amount of volume on a small footprint. Its akin to a neighbor deciding to build a larger home on an existing lot - additional stories need to be added to the house. In this analogy, a high-profile implant has more projection than a mid-range profile implant of similar volume. High profile implants tend to be used for patients with narrow chest widths that want a larger implant. 

Nervous about UHP implants

Hello, if you are very petite with a narrow chest width, ultra high profile implants might be a consideration.  The options are limited for very petite patients because the moderate profile implants are often too wide (unless they are tiny).

You should be comfortable with the size you are choosing

and if it requires UHP, then so be it but realize that there is more tendency towards fakeness and longterm effects on tissue can be more detrimental due to the pressures over the dome that will necessitate a mastopexy and even possibly a down size of your implants.  To avoid this, its better to go more conservative.

Curtis Wong, MD

Ultra-High Profile Breast Implants: Why I rarely use them

Thank you for your question regarding ultra-high profile silicone implants.  The ultra-high profile implants provide a very large amount of projection for a minimum width.  They tend to make the breasts appear very round, and in most patients, give the least natural breast appearance of the profiles available.  If your chest is concave, they may work well and hide this feature.  If your ribcage is convex or ourwardly curved, your breasts may project forward an unnatural amount.   The other feature that we often note is that overly projected implants tend to drop more over time as they require quite a bit of support to the lower breast skin which is often thin in very petite patients.   Hope this helps!    Dr. Bresnick

Stephen Bresnick, MD

Projection

Thank you for your question. Based on what you've mentioned I would imagine that you are very petite. When it comes to implants and dimensional augmentation, the only way to get the largest possible volume in a small space is with higher projection.

Your Plastic Surgeon would have measured you carefully then provided size and projection options based on what fits but also your stated desired "look". My patients find it helpful to try on the implant sizers in the office so that they can see what they look like in their own clothing.

I recommend that you have a clear conversation with your Plastic Surgeon about your aesthetic goals and the look you are after. It may be helpful to bring "wish photos." If you trust their expertise, then after stating what you want, you may find it helpful to let them guide you through the process of choosing.

All the best

Ultra high profile implants not usually natural in appearance

Your surgeon is correct to stay within the measured base diameter of the breasts because putting in implants that are too wide can cause a number of problems. Assuming you went through a process to choose the implant size (volume) then that is what determined the ultra high profile. It will not be a very natural look in most cases however so be sure that is the size you want.

Richard Baxter, MD

Breast Implant Profile and Chest Dimensions

This is definitely a question that vexes many patients who are considering breast augmentation. Breast implants today, especially the gummy bear implants, are best sized by measuring your current breast diameter. We then use that to determine an implant width that will work for you. After that, at least at my office, we have you try on implants in a bra to see what size you like. Once we now that the implant projection can be chosen. If you liked a smaller implant, in your bra we would chose an implant that has your base measurement and likely a low projection. If you liked a really big implant with a round look then we would chose the same base diameter implant but in a very high projection as it will have a lot more volume (sort of like a 4” pancake vs. soft ball – both have similar diameters but one has a lot more volume). There are shaped implants that have a little less volume up top and might be the way to go for you.

I hope the helps.

Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Ultra high profile

Thank you for your question.  If you are doubting the implant size and profile, ask to "try on" the implants in his office.  Be sure that you focus more on the "look" than the size and profile.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Ultra High profile to get the "size" you want but sacrificing on a more natural look

Your surgeon is correct in that you cannot use implants that are wider than your chest wall. If you are really narrow, like under 11.5 cm perhaps of max width, often we need to go up in profile beyond what you might have wanted for the desired "look" in order to get the desired "size" you want. You should try on UH in sizers and if it looks too big, then drop to High profile which aren't as unnatural looking as the UH's. 

Your surgeon should hopefully have looked at goal photos with you and at least demonstrated for you what lower profiles would give you. That way, if they were too small in size for the desired result, you would know that UH was the way to go and you wouldn't be worried.

Is High Profile the Right Answer?

A detailed consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon is important to establish your postoperative goals and determine what implant size and type would be best for you. In my practice I like to review different photos of my patients to establish what shape and volume they seem to like most. It is also very important to perform a detailed exam to evaluate the thickness of your breast tissue, skin tone and the dimensions of your chest. I like to have my patients try on sizers to get a feel for what they may look like and also appreciate how heavy the implants might feel. It is also useful to incorporate some additional 3-D imaging to get a sense for the subtle change between different implant types.

The advice I give to my patients focuses on 3 key elements.

1. Select a board certified plastic surgeon that you can communicate with comfortably to establish your desired look.

2. Establish that your plastic surgeon has your best interest in mind and make sure that they can explain your procedure to you in a way that makes sense and makes you comfortable. I want my patients to walk out of my consults and feel like they “get it” with respect to their surgical plan. I want to make sure that my patients can understand what a specific implant may deliver in regard to their results. This is common when we are trying to determine the size a patient desires, and also whether or not to select a shaped highly cohesive implant compared to a round silicone gel or saline implant.

3. Make sure that you understand what to expect in terms of your recovery and postoperative instructions. In my practice I give my patients additional instructions and tools to help them recover. In addition, I follow all of my patients closely after surgery and visit with them at 1 week and 3 weeks after surgery to make sure they are healing as expected.

Cheers and Best Wishes!
Steven Camp MD
#HappyCamperMD 

Steven M. Camp, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon