What is a Neophalloplasty?

Phalloplasty is any operation that changes the shape or form of the penis. Neophalloplasty is creation of a penis where no penis exists. Neo- = new, phallo = penis, plasty = change shape/form of something. In my opinion, the best neophalloplasties are those that require microsurgical skill, taking tissue from one body part (like the forearm), crafting it to take the form of another body part (the penis), and transplanting it to that new site. I hope this helps!

Newport Beach Physician

Thank you for your question.  A neophalloplasty is the creation of a penis. There are different techniques.  One technique involves creating the penis from forearm skin, which can be disfiguring.  The other technique uses abdominal skin, which typical leaves one with a more appealing abdominal scar, less invasive, and the cost is typically much less.  

The abdominal skin technique is the one offered at our practice.  I was personally trained on this technique of neophallus creation by the creator of this technique.  The new penis would not have a urethra and would not be able to obtain an erection without the insertion of an artificial device, if one chooses.  The cost of the surgery is dependent upon several factors.  Prior to surgery, all patients require evaluation by an appropriate psychologist and receive the appropriate counseling. 

I wish you the best of luck.    

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist)

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP
Cleveland Urologist