NeoGraft technology: How does it work?

Could you please explain the process in layman's terms.

How Neograft works

NeoGraft uses FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction), hair is typically harvested from the back of the head(donor site). The technicians use the handpiece of the Neograft to suction the hair follicle one by one from the donor site. The technicians then implants the hair follicles in the area where there was hair loss.  The hair will grow normally just like it did in the back of the head. If you have enough grafts to fill the entire area then that's great. But, keep in mind if you are losing hair from the front and its traveling back. You should expect more than one procedure to fill in the other areas as well.

Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Neograft Technology

Neograft is a device used to perform the FUE procedure.  What makes it different from other devices is that it uses vacuum suction to remove the grafts from the scalp.  They advertise it as being easier and faster than the traditional FUE method.

In my practice I do not use the Neograft for multiple reasons.  The punch size for neograft is too large.  You have to punch too deep, and I do not like the suction/vacuum applied to the grafts. It is also too slow for me as I am much faster and more accurate with my own FUE tools.

The biggest downside I see to Neograft is that fact that a majority of Doctors using them are not Hair Restoration Surgeons.  They buy the device, and Neograft Company supplies the Doctor's with technicians that will come to the practice and perform the entire procedure. It's important to make sure the Doctor is doing the entire procedure, his assistants work directly for the practice (Quality control), and that the doctor has a lot of experience with the device.

I have attached a video of FUE hair transplant performed by me. This will give you a better understanding of the procedure.

Amir Yazdan, MD
Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

NeoGraft FUE Hair Restoration is the new age of hair transplant.

NeoGraft FUE Hair Restoration is the new age of hair transplant. This revolutionary system avoids large, visible incisions and instead provides for nearly imperceptible scarring, minimal downtime and a speedy recovery. NeoGraft FEU is the least invasive procedure of its kind with no sutures, no scalpel incisions, and no linear scars.

FUE is an acronym for follicular unit extraction, meaning that individual follicles of hair are removed from the donor site to be transplanted in the areas of thinning hair. NeoGraft technology uses pneumatic pressure to extract individual hair follicles, protecting the delicate transplants, which yields a better total result. Strip surgery and other methods require more manual manipulation of the follicles which can damage them, impacting the final result.

The donor hair is removed from the back and sides of the scalp. Each graft is extracted with a needle and vacuum for fast collection. Each graft is collected with the same diameter and length, allowing for better transplantation and improved rate of taking. The extracted follicular units are skillfully separated by size.
The surgeon skillfully creates the recipient sites with the appropriate angle and orientation of your natural hair growth pattern and the desired area to be filled. Then, the extracted follicular units are individually transplanted into the balding areas. The process usually takes 3-8 hours, depending on the extent of hair loss. At most, patients typically feel a little discomfort as local anesthesia is utilized for comfort.

Julio F. Gallo, MD
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

How NeoGraft Works

There are essentially four procedures in the NeoGraft Follicular Unit Extraction Process.

Step One - Donor Hair Removal
Your hair is removed from the donor area in the back of your head where you hair is genetically programmed to resist testosterone.

Step Two - Separation of Follicular Units
Each graft is extracted with the same consistency in diameter and length, resulting in a dramatically increased take rate.

Step Three - Creation of the Recipient Sites
The hair transplant surgeon creates recipient sites in the proper angle, direction and orientation according to the artistic hair transplant plan he or she has designed specifically for you.

Step Four - Placement of the Hair Graft
The follicular units are then carefully separated by size, grafts are transplanted into the balding and thinning areas of your scalp and each graft is meticiulously harvested as it naturally occurs, and implanted individually to ensure the best results.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neograft is an FUE extraction instrument

We have used the Neograft on loan from the company in our office and it worked very well in our hands. Like any tool, the tool is only as good as the operator. When there is a good surgical team that has good quality control systems in place, tools can work very well. The Neograft has a long history to it as it was one of the first instruments ever developed (previously called the Calvitron) in the early 1990s by a Dr. Pascal Boudjema, one of the true geniuses in the hair transplant field. He envisioned FUE types instruments (on a slightly larger scale) well before my first pioneering paper was written on FUE and the Neograft today is the modern generation of this original invention which Dr. Boudjema received world-wide patents on. The Neograft system uses a hollow drill to core the grafts (similar to most FUE instruments) but has a special, unique suction system that allows the surgeon to actually remove the grafts in the same motion immediately after coring the grafts. It also has a graft implanter which is unique in the hair transplant instrumentation field that substitutes for the manual placement of grafts that could otherwise be damaged by forceps. No other commercial instrument that I know of does these additional two steps. In the hands of a good operator, this is an excellent instrument, but like most manually operated instruments the experience of the operator and the surgical team is what separates good from bad hair transplant surgery. The ARTAS robotic system, a competitive system, only cores the grafts and does not presently remove them from the donor area nor does it presently implant the graft, and again, like the Neograft system, requires an excellent surgical team to get good results. 

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Drill and suck

The Neograft tool, in essence, is a hollow drill connected to a suction to core and "suck" out a hair follicle. Neograft also has a suction and push rod hand piece to facilitate the implanting of hairs. This technique was first invented and utilized by a French doctor Pascal Boudjema back in the early 1990's.

A similar technique is also utilized by the ARTAS robot, the S.A.F.E. system invented by Dr. Harris, FUE technique and Hair Implanting Pen invented by Dr. Rassman.

Doctors who perform the FUE procedure pick and choose the instrument of their choice.

THE RESULTS depend on the doctor, not the tool (not Neograft, not ARTAS, not SAFE, not FUE)

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Neograft how does it work?

Neo graft is an instrument that is used to do FUE. Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) is a revival of the old punch technique obtaining donor hair with a small circular cutting instrument. These punches are used to harvest follicular units one at a time from the donor area. Each harvest or extraction creates a small circular scar. Since this is a blind extraction from the surface, There are always some collateral damage to the surrounding hair thereby limiting the safe donor hair. Neograft has a bigger tip therefore leaves even larger circular scars and damaging more collateral hair. Since this does not require any training, many clinics that do not specialize in hair transplantation get these instruments and use it as a side job. Since your donor hair is limited, if the extraction is not done by a hair restoration specialist you may use up most of your donor hair, having thinned out donor area, and also damaged hair to use in the recipient area which limit any improvement from hair transplantation. To make sure you get the best hair transplant option that fits your needs, always choose a doctor that is specialized in hair transplant and does not do this as a side job. Also make sure they offer all different types of techniques as one may not be the one that is the best for you. Hair transplant should be customized for each patients needs and concerns. Ask a lot of questions and see a lot of pictures. If they can't answer your basic questions then think twice before committing your self.

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

NeoGraft explained

NeoGraft is a device that provides the following:  a 0.6-0.8 mm punch graft tool for obtaining very small follicular units (from the donor site) with just 1-3 hairs, suction and a sterile collection receptacle for the grafts.  With this ability to obtain small grafts, there is no strip or linear scar.  Instead the tiny punch holes made, when obtaining grafts from the donor site, heal in within about 10 days leaving no visible scar.  The NeoGraft device also has a tool for planting the graft units at the recipient site, but many hair transplant surgeons and techs find it is just as efficient to do it by hand.  

Karen Stolman, MD
Sandy Dermatologic Surgeon