Is NeoGraft really a scarless hair transplant procedure?

I have heard wonderful things about Neograft, does it really not leave a scar?

Is the NeoGraft really and truly a "scarless" hair transplant procedure?

Thank you for posting this question. The short answer is no, it DOES leave scars. It’s just different from the traditional FUT linear strip where a scalpel is used to remove a strip of scalp, and then the surgeon sutures the area back up. The FUT method leaves a linear scar in the donor area, on the back and sides of the head, where the permanent hair is. There is no way to extract follicles from the scalp without leaving a scar, as the hair bulbs live below the level of the dermis. So, using surgical instruments the surgeon will need to pass through the dermis to get the hairs. Every Time you breach the dermis, there will be a scar 100% of the time.

The Follicular Unit Extraction method of hair restoration, which is what the NeoGraft device performs, is a method of managing the scars from a hair restoration procedure. Instead of having a line across the back of your scalp, there is a tiny ~1mm scar where the follicle was removed with the device. If you have 1000 grafts removed, you’re going to have 1000 tiny pin-point scars across the donor area. I hope this information is helpful to you!

Kind Regards,

Ken Anderson, MD, FISHRS

Atlanta Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair Transplant: To Scar or Not To Scar, That Is The Question

When compared to other forms of hair transplantation such as strip grafting, you have no sutures or extensive scarring. NeoGraft is a minimally invasive Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) technique that harvests individual follicles rather than strips of scalp.  Patients love it because you can continue to keep your hair short after transplantation, unlike the strip method, where an actual strip of the patient's scalp is surgically removed from the back of the patient's head, requiring sutures and/or staples and resulting in a rather noticeable linear scar.

Vu Ho, MD
Plano Facial Plastic Surgeon

NeoGraft

Thank you for your question. NeoGraft is a procedure that results in minimal scarring because it utilizes an automated system to ensure accuracy and precision. Also, NeoGraft removes follicles in a very small clusters causing scarring to be minimal and naturally dispered across the head so that it isn't noticeable. I suggest that you next consult in person with a board certified facial plastic surgeon. Best wishes,

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

This question is posted by a RealSelf staff trying to boost Google ranking.

Neograft will leave a scar.  This question is posted by a RealSelf staff trying to boost Google ranking.  Stop it! This question was NOT  posted a year ago (as it says on top) because I've been answering every single questions (over 5000+) for over a year and it just appeared in September 2016.If you're going to fake it, at least put a fake user name.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon