Best NeoGraft doctors: What questions should I ask to find the right surgeon for this procedure?

What should I prepare to ask during the consultation to ensure I select the right doctor?

How to determine who are the best "NeoGraft" doctors. A patient's asks....

Hello, and thank you for writing in with this question.

NeoGraft was introduced about 6 years ago, and is simply a machine that a physician (or, more likely, a technician) uses to perform the follicular unit extraction (FUE) procedure. It is more or less a motorized, hand-held circular punch, attached to suction. I attended a physician's office in Florida in 2009 for a demonstration of the NeoGraft device. I've been performing FUE procedures since 2003, and I was very interested to see this device. While at this meeting, hosted by the NeoGraft corporation, it was interesting to note that I was the only dedicated hair restoration surgeon in attendance. The others there to see and perhaps purchase the machine were spa owners, obstetricians, several family practice doctors, and a few business managers for doctors who dabbled in cosmetic surgery in general. I was pretty surprised. The graft placement feature of the NeoGraft device with positive pressure is a gimmick, as I asked the head trainer for the NeoGraft corporation to place a graft using this. We were observing an live procedure, and we watched as he tried several times, but was not able to place a single graft with the machine.

NeoGraft has done a tremendous amount of marketing, and I see physicians all over the USA who have never performed a hair transplant procedure in their lives acquire this machine, piggyback on the marketing done by NeoGraft, and start to offer this complicated, and permanent procedure to the public. Many literally call themselves "hair restoration experts" the day the machine arrives in their office. In much of the country, the doctor will simply hire a technician (the going rate for a NeoGraft tech in Atlanta is $70/hour) to perform the procedure. It should be noted at this point that hair restoration technicians have the same exact medical training requirements as grass cutters: absolutely none. The physician only need sign the papers and be on the premises. No joke. So, whether using the NeoGraft, or the much more advanced ARTAS robotic hair restoration system, or any other device, including a 50 cent 1mm biopsy punch, it is the experience and dedication of the surgeon and his team that will determine the outcome. 

Hair Restoration is it's own specialty now. There's a global society (the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery) and a Board. Choosing a surgeon 100% dedicated to hair restoration is paramount. If "NeoGraft" suddenly appears on a long list of other procedures a physician offers, I would be wary, as it is unlikely that the physician has a full-time, highly-trained team of hair restoration technicians, and is just hiring one of many "hired gun" technicians that will arrive at the office, and do the procedure for $70 an hour. There really is no such thing as a "NeoGraft" doctor, as NeoGraft is simply a medical device. It'd be like saying you're looking for a "scalpel doctor"....a scalpel, the NeoGraft device, and even ARTAS system are just tools that physicians and surgeons use to complete surgical tasks.

There are hundreds of subtleties and nuances in hair restoration, and assuming that because a physician now offers NeoGraft, in addition to all the other procedures offered, will be competent and excel at hair restoration surgery is simply foolish. Look at the experience and dedication of the surgeon who will be performing the surgery, and make sure technicians are not actually the ones who will be performing the surgery. Also make sure the physician you choose is actually a trained surgeon. The majority of hair restoration "surgeons" are, in fact, not trained in surgery at all, and hold no board certificates in any surgical specialty whatsoever, so examine your physician's credentials carefully. There is a either a board certificate with the word "surgery" on it with your chosen provider's name on it, or there isn't.  It's pretty simple. You should feel perfectly comfortable asking for a copy of the surgeon's resume to review. Look for many years of dedication exclusively to hair restoration, not just cosmetic surgery in general.

This problem is so rampant and common that the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery, the global community of physicians practicing hair restoration, issued a consumer alert about this issue. I see patients every month who had a hair restoration performed by a technician with the NeoGraft device presenting to our office asking for help; asking me to repair the unnatural looking hair transplant results. This is often very difficult, and occasionally impossible. Because as we say in this specialty, "the good thing about hair restoration is that it's permanent. The bad thing about hair restoration is that it's permanent." Consult with more than one surgeon, make sure he or she is actually a trained surgeon, and get a feel for who you think will be the best for you. A machine absolutely does NOT guarantee good, or even acceptable results.

I hope this information is helpful to you.

Kind Regards,
Ken Anderson, MD
Atlanta, Georgia, USA

Atlanta Hair Restoration Surgeon

What to ask regarding Neograft

What I see commonly is Doctor's who do not specialize in Hair Restoration surgery purchasing a Neograft and having unlicensed technicians (Called NeoGrafters) flying out to the clinic and performing the entire surgery. This is a very common practice in Neograft clinics and something to watch out for. Also, most Neograft cases I see come into my clinic, it seems that the largest punch is used (1.2mm) to make the surgery easier leaving scarring in the back of the patients scalp. In comparison, I do most of my FUE cases with a 0.7mm punch which minimizes any scarring and leaves me with small grafts which can be placed closer to each other giving a much more natural look and density.

Dr. Roger's response is straight on. Furthermore, I personally would never use a Neograft on a patient.  In my opinion the vacuum extraction puts additional stress on the hair follicles and leads to a lower graft survival rate.  I don't think to date I have seen a patient in my office who had good results with the Neograft.

Amir Yazdan, MD
Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

Do your homework before getting Neograft

Neograft is a vacuum-assisted form of follicular unit extraction (FUE). This device is marketed to doctors as a way to increase their revenue without having to be in the room to do the procedure.  Unfortunately many of these physicians have no experience in hair transplantation. They purchase the device and then delegate the surgery entirely to outside technicians (NOT physicians) who fly in for the day.

Hair surgery is permanent, and should be planned and performed with care by a physician who has training and experience. It involves the surgical removal of hair-bearing skin from the scalp and requires the artistic placement of grafts back into areas of thinning.

Follicular unit extraction has become popular as a no-scar technique. That being said, it is not a panacea, and it is not the best choice for everyone. Your hair surgeon should be able to advise you whether FUE is even the best choice for you, or if you should consider the traditional donor ellipse. This allows for the harvesting of the largest number of grafts, with the least amount of trauma to individual follicles, from the most permanent donor zone, and in a shorter period of time than with FUE. That being said, FUE can also be performed manually or with the ARTAS robotic device.

Nicole E. Rogers, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Neograft is a machine-a system; not a SURGEON. To find the best surgeon, to get the best results: 

1. Study the before and after photos. Ask if the doctor at the clinic actually performed the surgery or whether the photos were provided by the Neograft (the company selling the machine). 

2. Ask how many procedures were performed to produce each result shown in the gallery.

3. Ask to speak with the surgeon and meet with them in person if possible.

4. Sift through reviews.

5. All things being equal, give the most most consideration to your opinion of the results as depicted in the gallery, the results the the surgeon and his/her staff actually produced, your opinion of the surgeon meeting, and your gut reaction to all of these factors.

If you are not certain then keep looking until you satisfy all of your questions.

William Woessner, MD
New Orleans Hair Restoration Surgeon

Top 5 Questions to help find the right NeoGraft Surgeon

It is important to understand that NeoGraft is a tool that is used to assist physicians in follicular unit extraction procedures. Here some important things to remember and ask when consulting NeoGraft doctors.
  1. It is important to study the expertise of the doctor in performing the procedure. 
  2. The physician should have experience with a number of cases, with an ability to show consistent and reliable outcomes. 
  3. In addition, you should ask the physician who performs the majority of the work. For some clinics, technicians carryout most of the procedure with the physician distantly overseeing the work. 
  4. Ask to what extent the physician is involved in the procedure. 
  5. Ask plenty of questions and be sure that you feel confident in the qualifications and outcomes of your hair transplantation clinic.
A qualified, trusted and respected physician will be happy to answer any questions and show off his client outcomes.

Julio F. Gallo, MD
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

The most fundamental point to be made in answering this question is the idea that Neograft is a machine -- a tool, among many, that assists physicians in performing FUE (follicular unit extraction) procedures.

Simply owning the machine does not necessarily speak to the experience and/or skill of the doctor.  When choosing a carpenter, one doesn't generally care what kind of hammer he/she uses.  The same is true for hair transplantation where experience, specialization, technique, results, training, and number of cases performed are critical.  Also, there are numerous hair transplantation centers where the doctor has minimal involvement even in the critical aspects of the case, so best to ask about all of the above issues.

I hope this helps guide your decision making!

Jeffrey B. Wise, MD, FACS
Wayne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Good research!

You need to make sure you find a doctor who is skilled and experienced in hair replacement and FUE/FUT. Neograft as well as other hair replacement uses technicians for part of the procedure, so make sure the technician is competent and well experienced in this technique. These technicians should have at least 10 years of hair replacement experience and at least 5 years with Neograft. You should ask to see results from the physician and technician.

neograft is a tool and not a technique so the team has to be experienced in the technique and be comfortable with the tool! Neograft is sold to doctors that may be just starting hair replacement as it is marketed as a turn key procedure where a technician can come in a perform the whole thing. Doctors with no training or experience may not be able to design the appropriate hairlines, follicle angles, and have an overall aesthetic eye for hair.

do your research!

Michael S. Beckenstein, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Ask As Many Questions Until You Feel Comfortable

The best way to find the right NeoGraft surgeon is to set up a consultation to meet the doctor and discuss the procedure and his or her experience and number of cases performed. 

David L. Robbins, MD, FACS
West Des Moines Plastic Surgeon

Ask iprooceduresf they specialize in FUE

That is a very good question. A lot of doctors who purchased recently Neograft have zero or little experience with this procedure. Tey use fly in teams to handle the process with very little personal involvement and control of what is actually happening and who is involved. I would look for the centers that do it for years and have in house teams of dedicated experienced staff and lots of before and after pictures. THEIR pictures not company's borrowed pictures

Consultation Questions

Thank you for your question. You should ask whatever questions come to your mind. If you are concerned about the discomfort and recovery times, ask those questions until you are satisfied with your answer. I suggest you read patient testimonials of the surgeon to learn more about other results and therefore begin to build your expectations. I would jot down notes regarding your expectations that you can then relay to your surgeon.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon