NeoGaft: Pre-op, is there anything I need to know?
Doctor Answers 17
Preparation for your FUE procedure
This is information that should be provided by your operating surgeon well in advance of your surgery.
'Neograft' is the brand name of an instrument produced to harvest grafts by the FUE method in hair transplant surgery. It is not the name of a surgical technique.
There are many instruments marketed with special brand names for this purpose. Promoting specific instruments under brand names is a modern way of marketing surgery, which is designed to assign a surgical method with the brand name. Consumers subconsciously look for the brand name and eliminate opponents of the owner of the brand. However, patients who do a thorough research on FUE hair transplant clinics quickly find out that reputable surgeons in the world who consistently produce outstanding results usually don't use these instruments, but they use simple manual punches or micro-motors to produce their art.
Neograft Pre Op
Hi and thank you for your question!
As mentioned below, the practice where you are having your procedure done should provide you with a packet of pre and post procedural information and someone from the office, likely a medical professional, will review this information with you to be sure you understand it completely. We have certain prescriptions, such as an oral antibiotic, which is called into a pharmacy so it can be picked up before the procedure. Please refer to the practice where your Neograft is booked, so they can provide your their specific pre and post treatment instructions.
Dr. Grant Stevens
You might also like...
Pre-Op Neograft Instructions
1) Discontinue smoking!!!
2) Stop any anticoagulants (with a physician's permission of course), and that includes Vitamin E, Aspirin, Ibuprofen, Alcohol, herbal medications and supplements (as these can have blood thinning properties that aren't commonly known of)
3) Wash you hair the day before the procedure, NOT THE DAY OF
4) Wear a button down shirt to the procedure appointment
5) It is useful to bring a tablet or a book and earbuds as you may want something to read/watch/listen to during the course of the procedure
6) Be aware that whether you get a haircut prior to the procedure or not, you will have your hair cut by the doctor or techs on the day of the procedure and you may have your photos re-taken at that time.
p.s., your doctor's office should have provided you with a detailed list of dos and don'ts and what to expect at the time of your consultation.
NeoGraft Pre-op guidelines that are recommended by most practices.
You should wash your hair with regular shampoo the day before surgery. Come for your procedure with another individual to drive you home and help care for you while you may be taking pain medications. In addition, wear a button down shirt that can be easily taken off and put back on, without going over your head. Best of luck with your hair restoration procedure!
Presurgical planning for NeoGraft
Ensuring someone comes with you
Medications / supplements to continue or stop
Planning your time off and preparing for the post-op period
Filling prescriptions in advance
Discuss with your surgeon's office. Good luck.
That said, after performing many hundreds of successful procedures, we have devised an extensive pre-procedure protocol that we provide to patients. Most obviously, we encourage patients to discontinue blood-thinning medication such as aspirin and other anti-inflammatory drugs. We also provide pre-procedure recommendations for styling the hair, as well as medications needed before and after the procedure.
Best of luck!
Reply to Neograft Pre Op Instructions
Each physician has their own pre and post op instructions, therefore I would always refer to your trusted physician for specific instructions, however the following are my pre op recommendations.
- To achieve optimal results, it is recommended, however not required that patients stop smoking 1 month prior to the Neograft procedure and refrain from smoking for 1 month after their Neograft procedure.
- Wash your hair the day before surgery with your regular shampoo. Do not wash your hair the day of the procedure.
- Eat a good breakfast.
- Wear a button down shirt or something easily removable.
- Please arrive at the office as directed and be sure you have arranged someone to drive you home and remain with you for 24 - 48 hours post procedure.
- Please take all medications as instructed by your physician, such as antibiotic.
- Please bring any narcotic with you as directed and take AFTER you sign the procedural consent and after you meet with the physician on the morning of the procedure.
- Please review and follow the recommendations for foods and herbal supplements that should be avoided prior to surgery as they contain aspirin like (blood thinning) qualities and can complicate the surgery.
- Pre-operative photos will be taken and kept in your electronic medical record, unless other arrangements have been made. This requires an additional consent.
- Please consider what hairstyle you will wear for your procedure. The donor site will need to be shaven down to skin level.
- oA short haircut will allow others to see you have had Neograft vs. a long haircut will enable us to comb your hair over the donor site and provide some camouflage.
- Smoking is strongly prohibited, as this will delay your wound healing time.
- If you color your hair, it is recommended that you color your hair a few days before your procedure.
- oAfter the procedure, you must wait 6-8 weeks before you can color your hair again and a semi-permanent color should be used instead of a permanent hair color that may cause damage to your new grafts. Permanent hair color can be used 3 months after your procedure.
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.