is 6 months enough for the final results of gynecomastia or one year?

I am 6 months post op (very small gland and liposuction) My chest looks better but I still get puffy nipples when it is warm. My doctor insists that this is "normal" i mean the puffiness and he insists it is not the gland. He said he left a very tiny bit of the gland and also a very thin fat layer. he said the only option to reduce the puffiness is to reduce the mass, i.e the muscle. Can the muscle cause puffiness? or is it simply I still have scar tissue and it might get better if i wait more?

Trouble with gynecomastia

Hard to answer this without pictures.  We generally tell patients 6 months to a year because everyone is different.  Some patients will get 95% of their changes in the first 6 months and some might only get 75% and need that full year.  Each and every case has to be evaluated carefully and independently.  
Good Luck"The above answer has been given without seeing this patient and cannot be substituted for actual in-person examination and medical advice; it is only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Concerns after gynecomastia surgery

Only a subtotal excision of the gland will provide you with the result you are looking for. At 6-9 months post op you should see your final result. Seek a plastic surgeon with extensive training and experience in gynecomastia surgery. 

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Concerns after gynecomastia surgery…

Thank you for the question.  The more time the patient waits after surgery the more likely they are to see the final outcome of the procedure performed. Patients undergoing gynecomastia surgery should keep in mind that some "puffiness" may persist after surgery; as you described, this may change with temperature change.

Patient should also remember that removal of too much tissue at the time of corrective gynecomastia surgery may result in problems ( deformities) that are challenging to correct.  Surgeons must balance their desire to achieve the patient's goals (usually as flat a chest contour as possible) with efforts to avoid over resection and contour deformity.
Continue to follow up with your plastic surgeon who will always be your best resource when it comes to accurate assessment and advice. Best wishes.

Is 6 months enough for the final results of gynecomastia?

Thank you for your question.  If your resection and liposuction was very small you have likely reached your long-term results at 6 months.  Though some fluctuation in nipple and areola size will always exist with temperature or emotional changes it is difficult without an in-person exam to know if yours is the result of retained gynecomastia or normal fluctuation.  Voice your concern to your surgeon so that they can offer treatment advice. 

Is 6 months enough for the final results of gynecomastia or one year?

Final results from gynecomastia surgery, that includes liposuction, should be seen in about 6-9 months. It takes 6-9 months to see final results after liposuction.Determining the cause of "puffy nipples" would depend on your physical examination. 

Post-Op Gynecomastia Healing

Many patients like you ask "What will the scars look like?" Following surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor. So, you may still have some more time through the 12 month period to ensure that the scar tissue heals completely before thinking additional procedures may be needed. Best of luck!

Gynaecomastia results

Hi, and thank you for the question. I think 6 months is too soon to make a real judgment as there inevitability be some residual swelling. After 12 months things become more or less stable and then, decisions can be made. I would follow the advice of your plastic surgeon.

What causes puffiness?

Chest wall muscle does not cause the classic puffy nipple position.  The excess gland does.  A little bit of gland needs to be preserved for support of the skin, or else you'll get a crater deformity.  Sometimes people develop scar tissue beneath the nipple areola skin.  That could be the case with you, or perhaps you still have a little too much gland left behind.  In my opinion, 6 months is long enough to wait to see the final result.  Discuss the possible need for revision surgery with your surgeon; you may be a candidate.  Best of luck.

George H. Pope, MD