MonaLisa Touch: Who Is A Candidate?

What are the symptoms that I should be aware of and when should I seek treatment?

Non-surgical Vaginal Tightening with Mona Lisa Touch

MonaLisa Touch by Cynosure is one of three companies available in the US that use lasers inside the vagina to improve tissue tone and moisture. Lasers can work for anyone who is perimenopausal or menopausal internally to improve vaginal moisture. This is what the Mona Lisa Touch is marketed for.  Most doctors prescribe estrogen cream or pills to achieve the same goal of increased moisture at a much cheaper cost. MonaLisa Touch does not have a US indication for vaginal tightening although they do so overseas and market it aggressively. Cynosure wants to market for vaginal tightening but are not allowed to say so just yet so they get around this by marketing treatments for dry vaginas. The treatments are done with machinery that are the exactly the same as ones used for faces. However, special designed vaginal probes with mirrors and shiny surfaces are used to bend light to treat the vaginal walls by placing hundreds/thousands of micro holes that intend to stimulate collagen productions and increased blood flow . Results are reported good by the companies in terms of improvement of vaginal dryness. It does not do significant tightening of the vagina that replaces surgery as far as I am able to determine. I have spoken with the most prolific users of these devices who speak highly of its use for those who do not want surgery for vaginal tightening in Europe and South America.  They do work as advertised and are safe.  The costs can be high.  

As I stated in an earlier post, I find the use of radio frequency to be superior to any of the vaginal lasers because it can treat the external labia and tighten it and reduce the "Camel Toes" that the lasers really cannot do. I find the radio frequency treatments inside the vagina to be much superior also in terms of tightening effects, increased lubrication and moisture, and even reduction in leaky bladders and overactive bladders. Surprisingly radio frequency effects can also help with orgasmic dysfunction. Those who take a long time to achieve orgasms or are anorgasmic have been helped with radio frequency devices.  It is known that radio waves have a tissue healing and regenerative effect that stimulates your own cells to produce growth factors, collagen, and improved blood flow to local areas. In my practice I have been amazed at the results obtained using radio frequency in an extremely safe, comfortable manner with zero downtime.  The effects lasts an average of 9-12 months.  For full disclosure, I am biased because I helped invent and develop the radio frequency device and have almost ten years of experience working with the technology. Radio frequency devices for vaginal use will enter the US and European markets in May, 2015.

Hope this helps.

Warm regards,

Red Alinsod, MD

Laguna Beach OB/GYN

Who is a Candidate for the MonaLisa Touch vaginal laser treatment?

Candidates for the MonaLisa Touch™ vaginal laser treatment include the following:

• women who wish to avoid the risks associated with hormone replacement therapy (HRT).
  • GSM or vaginal atrophy, vaginal dryness – usually menopausal
  • dyspareunia (painful intercourse)
  • a history of breast cancer, thrombophlebitis, or other contraindications to estrogen
  • poor responders to estrogen treatment
  • patients with the goal of returning to premenopausal health
  • women who experience medical induced menopause (surgery)

Women don't talk about it!!!

As a urologist with Subspecialty certification in  female pelvic medicine and reconstructive surgery I have searched for many years for options for women who do not want to take medication for vaginal dryness and painful intercourse. The solution I have found is the Mona Lisa vaginal laser treatment. Finally my patients are enjoying intermacy with there partners. 

MonaLisa Touch: Who Is A Candidate?

Mona Lisa Touch and Femi Lift by Alma are both fractional CO2 laser devices. They are equally effective and produce excellent results. We have Femi Lift in our practice. ThermiVA is a radio frequency based device that works through direct bulk heating. ThermiVa has been supported by claims that it increases lubrication and improves vaginal function. In that ThermiVa is not FDA approved for intra-vaginal use, and that these claims are not supported by any valid, peer reviewed studies that I can find, it is unlikely that ThermiVa will help with any vaginal issues in a lasting way.. This technology is not able to raise tissue temperatures sufficiently to promote new collagen growth (Neocollagenesis), which is necessary for any lasting results. It has been shown that Neocollagenesis occurs ONLY when the tissues are heated to 60-70C. ThermiVa absolutely does not heat tissues to 60-70C, but only achieves perhaps 45-55 degrees Celsius. By heating the vaginal lining tissues, ThermiVa causes swelling, or edema. There is no scientific basis that supports the notion of ThermiVa producing long lasting results. Furthermore, as we all learned in 2nd year medical school pathology class, chronic inflammation and edema leads to FIBROSIS (a pathologic process). Fibrosis is a disorderly process of SCAR FORMATION, as opposed to the functionally regenerative process of Neocollagenesis. Think about nasty ugly scars on the skin that occur due to injury. That is the process of scar formation. Fractional laser devices, such as Femi Lift by Alma lasers, actually have been shown through rigorous scientific study, to promote Neocollagenesis by heating the vaginal lining tissues to 60-70 degrees Celsius. Furthermore, Femi Lift also causes fractional ablation of the vaginal lining, resulting in regrowth of a thicker and more youthful vaginal lining. In my practice we have treated dozens of patients with Femi Lift and I have nor seen a single treatment failure. Furthermore, most, if not all of my stress urinary incontinence patients (mild to moderate severity) have completely resolved their SUI.

Steven M. Gitt, MD, FACS (in memoriam)
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

MonaLisa Touch: Who Is A Candidate

MonaLisa Touch (MLT) is indicated for women experiencing symptoms of vaginal estrogen deficiency. Postmenopausal women will develop these symptoms; vaginal itching, vaginal dryness and vaginal pain during intercourse if they do not use some form of estrogen replacement. Many women, however, cannot use estrogens because of breast cancer, blood clots or a strong family history of breast cancer. MLT would become the treatment of choice for them.

Candidates for Mona Lisa Touch

Candidates for Mona Lisa Touch include postmenopausal women suffering changes to their vaginal health from the lack of estrogen. Also, patients with history of breast cancer, thrombophlebitis, or other contraindications to estrogen therapy would benefit. And finally the premenopausal women who have had their ovaries removed for cancer or other medical conditions could undergo this treatment. Warm Regards, Jennifer Murphy, MD

MonaLisa Touch: Laser Treatment for Vaginal Dryness

Any patient who suffers from vaginal dryness, Vulvo-Vaginal Atrophy (VVA) or any concerns with painful intercourse due to the dryness may be a candidate for MonaLisa Touch. It is especially a lifesaver for breast cancer patients/survivors who cannot use any estrogen replacement. We recommend 3 initial treatments over a 12-week period, and a single annual maintenance treatment. Though the MonaLisa procedure can result in mild tightening of the vaginal canal, this is not the procedure I would recommend if that is your main concern. If you are looking for laser vaginal tightening I would recommend Fotona IntimaLase. I hope this helps.

Shelena Lalji, MD
Sugar Land OB/GYN

Mona Lisa Touch

Mona Lisa Touch( MLT)is a CO2 fractional laser, developed in Italy primarily for the treatment of atrophic vaginitis.
There are 2 Italian studies which have shown a remarkable improvement, well over 70% success rate. There has also been a small pilot study at Univ Cincinnati and Stanford which supports those Italian studies.
MLT is a very effective therapy for menopausal atrophy of vaginal tissue with significant improvement in reducing, and eliminating pain with sex. The MLT is not the same laser that is used for facial or any other body part. This laser uses a bimodal laser beam which was developed specifically for vaginal tissue. It is painless and has good results. Check out Mona Lisa Touch or cynosure. 
This is a game changer for women, especially for those who have had breast cancer and can not or do not want estrogen

Peter D. Weiss, MD
Beverly Hills OB/GYN

Laser Vaginal Tightening Candidates

MLT and FemiLift are currently used for the nonsurgical treatment of vaginal looseness (laxity), mild urinary incontinence, and menopausal vaginal dryness (aka atrophy, atrophic vaginitis) which sometimes causes painful sex. I've reviewed these technologies in a recent article linked below. None of these conditions are emergencies and there are various treatments available.