Mommy Makeover Recovery - What should a person expect?

What should a person expect the day after, 1 week and 1 month after surgery? How long will they need to be on pain medication? When can they move around, do normal activities, lift things? Do you have any recommendations for a quick recovery?

What to Expect After a Mommy Makeover

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.   

Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks. #MummyTummy is a term given to modified tummy tucks which can use liposuction and skin tightening with radiofrequency such Vanquish, Vela3, thermage, thermiRF and others.  The actual fat contouring can be done non-surgically as well with #UltraShape or Cool-Sculpting.
As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain.
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your surgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.

As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for until you have clearance from your surgeon. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

Mommy Makeover Recovery

Mommy Makeover recovery varies significantly depending upon a number of factors

1) The surgeon you select - find an experienced surgeon with exceptional training
2) The surgeries you have. A mommy makeover is different for different people. For some, it includes a mini tummy tuck and breast implants, for others, it includes a full tummy tuck and augmnetation mastopexy
3) Pain control used during surgery. Exparel and / or pain pumps mean a MUCH easier and more comfortable recovery and often mean a patient doesn't require narcotic pain medication whcih can slow recovery
4) The surgical team and surgical environment - A stellar surgical team including an MD anesthesiologist at the bedside of the patient for the duration of surgery makes a considerable difference with safety, comfort and recovery
5) Follow up care. Your post-operative appointments should be scheduled prior to surgery. You should also have the ability to call your plastic surgeon's office should you have any questions or concerns
6) Immediate post-operative observation. I prefer to have patients stay in our dually accredited center with round the clock medical observation the first night after a mommy makeover. THis provides peace of mind for patients and their families.
7) Follow the instructions of your plastic surgeon very carefully. Be sure you understand the procedure and that you are comfortable discussing concerns with your plastic surgeon and his staff.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Make Over recovery–what should I expect?

Typically a Mommy Makeover is a combination of some type of breast recontouring, abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) and and liposuction of the hips and thighs. Of these 3 components tummy tuck requires the longest recovery. You should plan on staying home for 2 weeks after a tummy tuck. After that you can begin to reengage many day to day activities. Athletic activities which create stress on the abdominal wall should be carefully reintroduced at 8 weeks progressing to 12 weeks. More aggressive exercises such as sit ups and abdominal crunches should wait for up to 12 weeks. Upper body restrictions will depend on the type of breast surgery performed. If a breast lift, without an augmentation, or a breast reduction is performed it is best not to raise your arms high above your head until healing is achieved. This normally takes up to 3 weeks. Unrestricted upper body activity can normally be resumed at 4 weeks. If an implant is used either for breast augmentation or in conjunction with a breast lift normal day-to-day upper body activities can normally be resumed in 2-4 days. It is best not to lift more than 10-15 pounds for 4 weeks after an implant is placed. Reintroduction of activity following liposuction is dependent on patient tolerance. There are usually no specific restrictions associated with liposuction.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover Recovery - What should I expect?

I would ask your surgeon as this will depend upon your anatomy, the surgeries planned, and the protocols established by your surgeon.

Mommy Makeover Recovery #mommymakeover

I did not see the exact procedures you are having but I am assuming breast and body work. So I would tell you that the most important thing at the outset that you realize is that you are investing in yourself. Being that said you need to listen to your surgeon and take the time to recover that is needed. It will lead to better overall results. So depending on the breast surgery the recovery will be 2-3 weeks. When I say that I mean you will still have some soreness and tenderness that far out. Some people are totally fine after a few days and others take weeks. For your body work, if you are having a tummy tuck and any kind of liposuction I would say the short term recovery is 2-3 weeks and the long term recovery goes on for several months. Long term meaning you may complain of some aches and pains here and there and have some tightness to areas operated on. Overall for a mommy makeover count on 2-3 weeks.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Thank you for the question.   Since you considering undergoing a major operation which often involves a significant physical and emotional recovery ( often underestimated by surgeons and patients alike), a few words of advice may be helpful:  1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself) and that you have realistic expectations. Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life situation. You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven. 2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation. 3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful. 4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary. 5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina of your caretakers. 6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery. 7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies. 8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change). 9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the emotional swings that you may experience. 10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery. 11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery. I hope this, and the attached link and video, helps.

Mommy makeover recovery.

Depending on the operations performed, the first few days are basic confinement to the home with otherwise active lifestyle.  Driving in about 1 -2 weeks with day to day activity restored.  Early athletic activity at 6 weeks.  Full activity, including athletic, at 3 months.

Mommy Makeover Recovery

The recovery process depends on your undergoing surgical procedures. If you will perform liposuction and tummy tuck usually after the first week post op you feel better and do not need any more pain killers. Then after twenty one days you can be recovered even though you may be in the process of inflammation but your body absorbs it.

Aramis Vega, MD

Tips for quick recovery after mommy makeover

There are several things to consider especially if you have small children home still, in which case the most important thing is to have help with that so you can be in recovery mode rather than trying to be a care giver. Other things would include the use of Exparel, which is a long-acting numbing agent so you don't have to take pain meds as much and your activity level advance more quickly. Certain things cannot be rushed however such as the 6 weeks it takes for a muscle repair to heal.

Richard Baxter, MD

Mommy makeover recovery

Great question especially with busy moms working, taking care of kids and exercise.  
Generally, and each case is different, most patients are up the night of surgery walking about the house and in the shower the next day.  Driving when off pain medicine and exercising at 4-6 weeks.  I encourage the use of advil or alleve to help get off the narcotic and be aggressive treating constipation.  I use exparel  which gives 72 hours of pain relief postop and is a game changer.  Of course, you will need to consult with your plastic surgeon and the protocols may be totally different.  Be wise and allow yourself to heal.  Don't push it.   Best of luck to you.

Paul Watterson, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon