Three moles and hyperpigmentation, are there other options besides Halo? (photos)

I have had three miles on my face shaved twice in the past 15 years. I noticed they were getting bigger again and had a halo laser treatment done twice without change of the mole. I feel they are bumpy and raised, I do not like the texture. Are their other options? Also I had halo laser done twice to reduce a hyperpigmented spot and it helped slightly..... other options?

Skin lesions

Thanks for your question. I would not expect any laser treatment to make those raised skin lesions ("moles") go away. I think you'd be better off having them surgically removed. You'd be trading them for a small scar, but hopefully one that would be flat and easier to conceal. The laser treatments really are more for pigment, redness, and sun damage. Best wishes.

Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Halo for Moles

Thanks so much for your question. Halo is a wonderful treatment option for a number of things including hyperpigmentation, texture, pores and fine lines.

However, it is a fractionated laser, so it only treats a portion of the skin, allowing for faster healing and great overall results. It will not completely treat a raised lesion such as yours - for that, you need spot treatment with a fully ablative resurfacing laser. I often do both at the same time, so the recovery from flattening out the lesions (a scab for about a week), coincides with the recovery from the Halo.

Rebecca Gelber, MD
Incline Village Physician