Minoxidil after FUE Surgery?

I had 900 FUE Grafts placed into an FUT Scar last week (with PRP and A-Cell). Should I start using Minoxidil (5%) next week, 14 days post surgery?

Minoxidil use after hair transplant

It has to do with the extent of your miniaturization of hair. It is best to ask you hair transplant specialist for specific directions of when to start medications post FUE.  In our practice we tell patients they may resume Minoxidil about 7 -10 day post surgery.

Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

It is best to ask your surgeon about post operative care as each doctor has their unique regimen.

It is best to ask your surgeon about post operative care as each doctor has their unique regimen.   This includes PRP, ACell, or Minoxidil use.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Minoxidil after hair transplant

you can start using minoxidil after two weeks post hair transplant, but it may not help with the growth rate as the hair needs to go through its cycle of growth anyways. 

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

Minixidil and PRP after hair transplant

minixidil and PRP after a hair transplant, in m,y opinion, offers no value if the transplant was done well.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Minoxidil after surgery

Without knowing much of your other medical history and your hair loss/surgical history, I can say that I generally recommend minoxidil, generally 4 weeks after surgery after the grafts are well seeded.  I'm a big proponent of cellular therapy to reduce hair loss in as well.  I typically do a biologic treatment (PRP, Acell and other biologics) about 1-2 weeks before surgery and recommend a repeat treatment in 6 months and then as needed.  It's very important with cellular therapy to follow up every 3-6 months.  You can STOP hair loss in many cases and avoid the need for future surgery if you find the right doctor and the right protocol.

Ryan Welter, MD
Boston Hair Restoration Surgeon