How does the medication Singulair work for the reversal of capsular contraction, and how effective is this medication?

I was put in Singulair 7 months post on to reverse my capsular contraction on my right breast. My breast has a good shape, but is very hard. I think this is a type 2 capsular contraction. I would just like my breast to be soft! If this medication does not work, what are the chances that another surgery would prevent this from happening again in the future?

Thank you for your question. Capsular contracture is one of the most common complications of breast augmentation surgery. Leukotrienes are implicated in the inflammatory cascade and have been postulated to be involved in the formation of CC. Therefore, leukotriene antagonists Accolate and Singulair have been prescribed by plastic surgeons off-label to treat and prevent CC. To date, the studies available to bolster the evidence are marginal and not definitive (no double blind trials). That being said, the medicines are usually well tolerated and possibly carry a potential benefit that would outweigh the risks in many patients. If not successful, then surgery will likely be required. I would ask your surgeon about the use of ADM in the revision of your breast as studies have shown promise that the ADM can help to prevent capsular contracture. Hope this helps!

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}