How long before lips look less huge? (Lipotransfer or Fat Graft to Lips).

I am 12 days post op and my lips still look huge. I feel like most of the swelling is gone and what's left is just the fat. They still look huge to me, like Kim K huge (not what I want). My PS and I discussed just a little more fullness. I don't think he did more than we discussed and while I trust him, they still looks so HUGE. I also had rhinoplasty and chin implant. I've been icing every day and lip size seems to have plateaued. Is there anything I can do to speed up the absorption process?

Fat Transfer to Lips, Final Results?

Lumps and swelling from fat transfer to the lips can persist for several weeks. I suggest allowing adequate time to decrease swelling before judging optimal results. Light massage may help. Best, Dr. Emer

How long before lips look less huge?

Thank you for your questions and congratulations on your surgery.  Without an in-person examination or full series of photographs it is difficult to offer definite advice but it would not be uncommon to have continued soft tissue swelling to the lips 12 days after fat grafting.  Between the resolution of swelling and some fat graft that will not survive you will see a steady drop in the size of your lips over the next 4 weeks.  I know waiting is difficult but hang in there and allow you're results more time to mature.  Best wishes. 

Lip Injections with Fat

I am not a huge fan of injecting lips with fat.  The swelling can last over 6 weeks to resolve. I prefer traditional Hyaluronic Acids like Juvederm for an easier recovery and natural look. You should continue to ice for now. Best, Dr. Green

Swelling after fat grafting

I always tell my patients that if they are perfectly happy with the results of fat grafting right after surgery, they will not be happy with it ultimately. The swelling you get from fat grafting is significant and we usually over correct about 40-50% with fat because these are living cells that are fragile and can die easily. I would avoid icing too much right over the area as too much cold can also kill off the fat cells. 

Lily Lee, MD
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon