How long after a breast lift would a vacation be possible? (Photo)

I am 24 years old, 5'3, 138 pounds and have had saggy breasts since mid-teens. I have finally decided to get a breast lift but have a vacation planned to Bali in early May. I do not have surgery schedualed or even a doctor picked out yet, so how soon after surgery would a vacation be okay? I will be swimming and hiking, so I don't want to risk infection!

Vacation After Breast Lift?

It sounds like you have a pretty active trip planned so I would error on the side of more time rather than less. In general we recommend that patients avoid vigorous exercise for at least 6-8 weeks, however you won't have reached your final point in the healing process for at least three months. So you should consider giving yourself at least that much time to ensure you are thoroughly healed. 

Lipo-lift

I appreciate your question

I perform a liposuction breast lift that removes tissue from the areas you don't want such as near the armpit and the lower portion hanging near your stomach. Once I use this to shape the breast I then remove the skin to tighten the breast and create a better shape with nice cleavage. Since I perform this less invasively the recovery time is faster. The size would depend on the proportion with your body versus going for a cup size.

It takes about 6 weeks to heal on average and I wait 12 months before any scar revision 

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.  Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

How long after a breast lift would a vacation be possible?

The earliest you could consider something like this would be about 6 weeks following surgery depending upon how well the healing process is progressing.

Your surgeon will tell you

Your surgeon will let you know how long after your surgery you can start doing all of those activities. Generally speaking, I tell my patients they should wait about 6-8 weeks after a lift before they start doing physically strenuous exercises again.

Because you are headed out of the country and plan to swim and hike while in Bali, I would suggest waiting a minimum of 4 weeks. Make sure you get the all clear for the exercise from your surgeon before you leave. Have a wonderful trip. Good luck.

Richard Zienowicz, MD
Providence Plastic Surgeon

After breast lift surgery, I ask my patients not to participate in vigorous activity for six weeks. Sometimes there can be small areas that take a little longer to heal. With a great vacation already planned, I would give yourself at least three months before your trip. You want to make sure that your completely healed and ready to go, so that you can enjoy your vacation fully.

Resuming activities after a breast lift

will vary widely but I've allowed my patients with no problems with healing, to resume activities after 3 weeks with a good sport bra and to start slow and work their way up to what they want to do.  Hiking and splashing in the ocean would be fine but a 1 hr scuba dive using your arms the whole time could be troubling.  So common sense, if good, will keep you out of trouble.  But you should follow the instructions of whomever you see and realize that if something does happen abroad, you may have some trouble getting it addressed.  

Curtis Wong, MD

Timing

I generally ask my patients for 4-6 weeks of recovery time after a mastopexy before trips like this to allow for adequate healing and to avoid possible problems during the trip.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Ali Mosharrafa

Ali Mosharrafa, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Breast lifts are an art form

Breast lifts are an art in plastic surgery and no 2 surgeons will give you the same results. You look like an excellent candidate for a lift and if you were my patient with the vacation planned you describe I would suggest you get the surgery 2 full months before so you can have a perfect holiday.

After a breast lift, I recommend that my patients not exercise for 2 weeks, and for 6 weeks (until the incisions are healed and strong) not go without their special post-op support bra (except in the shower) and not run/bounce or lie on their breasts. After 6 weeks all restrictions are lifted. However, occasionally a patient can get a small area of delayed healing, usually under the breast, and this can require antibiotic ointment and a bandaid and restrict the patient from swimming in an ocean or pool until it is healed. For that reason, it would be better to have your surgery performed sooner rather than later just in case this occurs and so that it would not interfere with your vacation to Bali in early May. For example, anytime between now and February should give you plenty of time.