Liposuction Risks - What are the possible risks associated with Liposuction?

What can go wrong? A person is getting lipo to their abs, flanks and thighs. Do you have any tips so they can make sure their procedure is a success?

Liposuction Risks

Thank you for your question. Fortunately, significant complications from liposuction surgery are infrequent. Liposuction surgery is one of the two most common procedures performed by plastic surgeons. Most often this surgery is performed without experiencing any major problem. The subject of risks and potential complications of surgery is best discussed on a personal basis with you when you visit us during your consultation and your preoperative appointment. The risks in most surgeries are similar. Some of the potential complications that may be discussed with you include hematoma (an accumulation of blood under the skin that may require removal), infection, changes in sensation, scarring, allergic reactions, damage to underlying structures, need for revisions, unsatisfactory results possibly necessitating additional procedures and medical risks. Other risks more specific to liposuction may include indentations and irregularities. You can help minimize certain risks by following the advice and instructions we provide, both before and after your liposuction surgery. Best of luck!Dhaval M. Patel Double board certified Plastic surgeon Hoffman Estates BarringtonOakbrook Chicago

Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Excess in overweight it is the principal

yes  trying  to loose  weight  by any lypo it is a big  mistake, the professional plastic  surgeon send to the patient with any  nutritionist  at least 3 months  before  any  surgery in order to prepare the patient to looose  weight in a natural way in ordeer  to do not  recover  the original  weight as it  was  before  surgery.
second  caution it is  the patient  would not  beeing taking pro or  anti  bleeding products  like  aspirin  vitamine "E" antipregnant tabs, gel, pads, etc
third caution it is to prevent thrombosis  by utilization of intermintent external air  legs pressure
4th caution it  must be to realize a autologus blood  transfution and prepare it  since  at least 3 days  before the surgery

Ramon Navarro, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and Risks

there are many risks with any surgery and very specific ones with liposuction such as infection, irregularities, prolonged bruising/swelling, scarring to just name a few.  Your phyisican should have gone over this in great detail with you.  all of my patients get a folder/packet with all their concerns answered and all the risks/benefits outlined out for them.  I suggest a second opinion with a physician who specializes in this type of surgery  and has a practice that is set up to discuss all these concerns with you prior to your surgery so you are prepared and will get the best results.  Do not compromise your care for price or distance!  Best of luck, Dr. Emer.

Liposuction risks

There are many common risks of all surgery. But for liposuction most issues develop from contour asymmetries,  incomplete removal, and sometimes persistent swelling and bruising.

Excellent question

When it was my turn to have surgery, so many things went through my mind before the procedure. The risk was one of these thoughts. Another was the fear of general anesthesia. I have been preaching the safety of general anesthesia, yet when it was me, it was different.

Liposuction is one of the most common and safest medical procedures. I suppose the most common risk is not reaching the patient's expectations or having an aesthetically poor outcome. The need, at times, to do revision surgery is real. The need for possible future surgery is certainly a risk.

In terms of serious complications, there are several. Most of them are very rare. The following are serious complications that have the potential to be deadly: infections such as necrotizing fasciitis, bleeding, injury to other organs such as the intestines, lung or heart, blood or fat clots that can lodge in your lungs, heart attacks, strokes and complications from anesthesia.

Today is the 10th anniversary of the Indian Ocean tsunami and earthquake that devastated Indonesia and several other countries. It's important to comprehend the rate of a certain risk.  

Out of well over 1,000 liposuction cases, I have had one serious complication. That patient developed an infection and needed to be hospitalized. She eventually did well. My personal revision rate is around 10%. I have a low threshold of doing revision surgery if my patient and I both feel there is room for improvement. To me, that feels like a comfortable number. If I did fewer revisions, I would probably be denying my patients the very best results. If I had more revisions, then I should wonder why I'm seeing less-than-perfect results. By the way, most liposuctions revisions are minor touchups done in an office setting. 

I don't believe myself to be an expert in analyzing of the statistics of all the specific risks of liposuction, and as such, I cannot give specific statements about rates of infections or giving a comprehensive list of all complications.

I believe liposuction to be one of the safest procedures I preform. I have had it myself, and I did just fine.

Hope that helped.

Mats Hagstrom, M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Risks associated with liposuction

There are risks to any surgery, including liposuction.  Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to understand the risks involved prior to undergoing surgery.  Good luck and be safe.  

Josef Hadeed, MD, FACS