Liposuction: help assessing risk of unsatisfactory results? (Photo)

I am interested in liposuction to sculpt my waist, flanks and abdomen. I have browsed liposuction photos on Realself for some time. What accounts for the difference between great, natural results and results that are lumpy and uneven, or that result in dramatic scarring? What percentage of liposuction procedures end in needing revisions? What can I do to ensure smooth, natural results? Thanks for your time. I'm including photos of my midsection for personalized feedback. Please advise.

VASER Hi Definition Liposuction / Body Contouring with Fat Grafting -- TECHNIQUE, SKILL, FAT TRANSFER, HIDEF

There is a lot that determines a good result

1) amount of fat before procedure

2) amount of muscle and toneness before procedure

3) amount of cellulite and skin laxity/hanging skin before procedure

4) goals for the final results

5) expertise, skill and technique -- few doctors do a hi def approach and get just standard traditional outcomes. 

I suggest you see an expert in body shaping for an evaluation.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Liposuction - how to get that perfect result?

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

• A lot of different elements go into a great liposuction result.
  • E.g. - a person's natural ability to heal, the amount of fat being removed, the expertise of the surgeon, the type of machine, the size of the cannula and whether enough fat is left to conceal the tunnels made under with skin.
  • Judging from your photos, most important for you is likely to be an experienced surgeon using a 2 and 3 mm cannula, a machine that does not generate heat (vaser, laser) and leaving enough fat to conceal the surgery.
  • You are thin, you do not seem to have much fat to remove -
  • So small cannulas are needed.
  • And the heat of laser/vaser machines may burn the underside of your skin making for an irregular result.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Patients with good skin tone do well with liposuction, generally speaking. Wearing the compression garment post operatively will be the best thing you can do. Please follow all your surgeon's instructions. Just looking at your photos, you should get good results. I would suggest meeting with a board certified plastic surgeon and discussing all your concerns. Also, ask to see photos so you can see that surgeon's results.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon