I had a mommy makeover 4 weeks ago and I can't sleep - why?

Unable to Sleep 4 Weeks After a Mommy Makeover

If you have concerns about your #healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined. It is possible your post-op #medications may be interfering and preventing you from sleeping. 

DR DERBY SANG

This can be medication related but it is important to contact your surgeon to talk about this matter. Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Mommy makeover

You need to contact your plastic surgeon about your lack of sleep.  This could be medication related.

Mark Deutsch, MD

Thank you for your question. At a month out from surgery, your surgery and anesthesia medicines should not be affecting you anymore. If you are still taking oral pain medication or other medications from surgery, you should consider stopping those as well. If you are still having problems with insomnia, I would consider seeing your regular medical doctor for a general exam, workup, and possibly labs to investigate for other causes.

Mommy Makeover

Discuss your medications with your Plastic Surgeon.  This could be the reason you are not sleeping.  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Insomnia after mommy make-over

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.

• I am so sorry you can't sleep after your mommy make-over. There are various possibilities -
  • If you are sure it is from your mommy make-over, you may be feeling the effects of medicines.
  • Stop all your surgery medicines, if you haven't already.
  • But there are many other possible causes -
  • Are you stressed catching up with what needs to be done after surgery - at home or work?
  • If you have children, are they stressing you because of the effects of your surgery on them?
  • If you were used to exercise before surgery - is that a factor.
  • Consider what is going on - discuss possibilities with your surgeon and your regular doctor.
  • All of these causes are temporary and should resolve with time.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Hope you found this answer helpful. Best wishes

Mommy makeover

Thank you for your question.  At a month post-op, this is most likely a question of the medications that you are currently taking, and you should discuss the issue with your operating surgeon.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Can't Sleep One Month After A Mommy Makeover - Why?

Surgery and anesthesia can interfere with the normal sleep cycle for up to about 10 days post surgery.  At one month after surgery, given that the surgery was successful because you didn't say it wasn't, neither the surgery nor the anesthesia should cause you any insomnia.

Some individuals, unfortunately, have a paradoxical response to pain medication, and instead of falling asleep, it keeps them awake.  I suggest you discuss this with your plastic surgeon.  He or she should have the answer for you.

If you were my patient, I would recommend you either stop taking the pain medications or switch to a different med which doesn't cause you insomnia.

At 4 weeks post op, your mommy makeover surgery, and anesthetic you had, should not affect your sleep unless you are still having some pain.  Medications, however, can affect sleep patterns and if you are still taking medications and having sleep problems, let your surgeon know.  They may want you to stop or change your meds.  But don't worry a mommy makeover surgery should not affect your long term sleep patterns.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.  

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

I had a mommy makeover and now I can't sleep

At one month out from surgery, it should be unlikely that your surgery is still causing issues with insomnia unless you are still taking pain medications or other meds that may be affecting your sleep cycle.  Another issue could be if you are still not able to get into a comfortable position to sleep like you did before surgery.  I would recommend addressing the issue first with your plastic surgeon then with your primary care doc if your plastic surgeon doesn't have a good explanation/reason.  Best of luck with your continued recovery!

Jeffrey A. Sweat, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon