I would love to have a DD size/look but I'm unsure what amount of cc's will give me that. Any suggestions? (photos)

I am 5'2'', 92, small 34b is what i wear. my ribcage measures 27". i was considering 400cc which my doc said i could handle but would that give me at least the size i desire?

How to achieve a DD size/look?

As you can see from many of the other surgeon's answers here, cup size is not predictable because there is tremendous variability among bra manufacturers. In one bra you might be a DD, in another a D, and in another a DDD, so it is best not to focus too much on a specific cup size. The "look" that you achieve has as much to do with your height, chest circumference, shoulder width, waist size, and amount of breast tissue that you start with. There is no way that a surgeon can give you a specific recommendation on implant volume (cc's) without seeing you in person.

Given all that, based on the information you have provided, it appears that you a petit individual, so even a modest sized implant will look relatively large on your frame. I use a combination of breast/chest measurements (biodimensional approach), try-on sizing with implants of various sizes, and review of photographs of your "wish" look and results of my own patients. So again, deciding on a specific implant size requires an in-person consultation, but I would estimate that a 400cc implant should get you in the ballpark of your goal.

I would love to have a DD size/look but I'm unsure what amount of cc's will give me that. Any suggestions?

Size and shape of breasts can often play a critical role in a woman’s self-esteem. Fuller and bigger breasts are often associated with reproducibility therefore it is a desired condition. There are different kinds of breast augmentation operation types. Breast augmentation can be performed either with breast implants or autologous fat transfer. There are also different types of breast implants like teardrop or round implants. These implants also can be placed under or above the muscle. As you can imagine there are several different options for breast augmentation. The best way to understand which one is more suitable for you is to get a physical examination by a plastic surgeon.

It is important for you to understand that you don’t always need a breast implant for breast augmentation. As it was also mentioned above you can also get bigger and natural breasts with Cihantimur Fat Transfer method. In this method we use own fat tissue of the patient in order to increase the size of the breast. Since this tissue is your own tissue there is no risk for any adverse effects. It is safe and fast operation that yields natural results without any incision.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

As I am sure you know, bra sizing is all over the place so talking cup size is not that helpful.  The best way to determine a good size for you is to have your surgeon help you "try on" some implants.  I size patients myself which allows me to show that patient a size range that will work with their anatomy.  I tell my patients to forget about the size of the implant and the size of the bra.  All that matters is that the patient is pleased with her result. 

Another really useful tool is to find photos of patients of similar build and age with results you like and don't like.  I find this very useful in communicating with my patients.  Sometimes they will show me a "dream photo" that looks like a nightmare to me! 

I sometimes see patients who have imaginations much larger than their chest wall and I don't think I can get the result the patient wants without really messing up their breast tissue and skin with gigantic implants.  I turn those patients down (and sometimes see them on RealSelf!). 

Lisa Lynn Sowder, MD

Looking fore a "DD look"

Hi Nova2014, With apologies, I would consider a result using a 400 cc implant because that is what you, "can handle" less than an optimal goal. In more recent years, many women, even in the warmer climates, including actresses and "sexier types", have chosen smaller or downsized to smaller sizes because they were more comfortable and proportionate and felt to be more beautiful. In the past and even these days, plastic surgeons, including myself, were apt to recommend larger implant sizes out of fear that their patients would be disappointed they didn't go big enough. I find that most women want to be "full but not too full" and many come in requesting smaller sizes specifically. This is a national trend!! As women have aged they find that large breasts are too heavy and too much of a bother. (Even Heidi Montag, known for undergoing many, some say too many, plastic surgeries including going from an already full breast to an even bigger one, has downsized).  In your case, you want to have fuller breasts. But choosing an implant because it is 400 cc's is not enough because the shape is more important than the size. ..As a plastic surgeon, it has always been important to understand the woman's desires and goals. Using sizers in a bra and bags of rice, frankly are not ideal. This is why we purchased a Canfield Vectra 3D imager which can show your potential results with a variety of implant sizes and shapes on your body in three dimensions. In your pictures, you have already beautiful breast shape; as well, you are a very petite woman with a beautiful figure. You look like you should wear a smaller bra than a 34. As a young woman you might want to go "big" but you should consider not the size but the shape of your breast and the long term concerns with too big an implant. We offer a complimentary consultation with 3 dimensional imaging and will review sizes and breast aesthetics with you. There are a variety of implants and techniques. I perform a TEAM, hidden incision, procedure that I developed with colleagues in the 90's and have steadily used since then. 

Choosing implants

Your best bet when you are trying to decide on implants is to try on sizers of the exact implant you are considering inside a very tight sports bra. This will give you a close idea of what you will look like. More importantly the dimensions or width of the implants need to match and fit your frame and body. If you are working with a board certified plastic surgeon with an expertise in breast augmentation he or she should be able to help you with this in their office. Good luck! 

Dean Vistnes, M.D.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery
San Francisco Bay Area

#drdeanvistnes #breastaugmentation

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Augmentation, Size B to DD

With a petite patient wishing for a DD, it won't take a big sized implant to get you there.
I would of course, need a consultation to give you the best answer, but usually on someone of your stature,
I would go with a 415cc to no more than a 450cc.  Remember when internet surfing, implant size will
look totally different on a 5'2" girl compared to a 5'6" girl.

Charles A. Wallace, MD

Implant size

There are a lot of factors that go into choosing your implant size prior to surgery. These include your desired bra size, expected cosmetic outcome, and biodimensional planning (breast diameter).  There is some degree of subjectivity that goes into choosing implant size.  What is considered natural will vary significantly between patients.  In our office we often use sizers to help patients determine which size would given them the outcome they are looking for.  A well chosen implant can give you an beautiful and natural outcome.  Good luck with your surgery.

Breast implant selection

I think the most rational process for breast implant selection is to base the implant size (volume, diameter, projection) on the real biodimensions of your chest and breast foot print. An 'augmented' or 'natural' look can be created with artful implant selection. Recognizing the limitations of breast anatomy is important in creating a long-lasting and beautiful augmentation result.

B to DD Implant Size

It is very difficult to determine the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 400 cc implant to make her go from a “B” cup to a “DD” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. . Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the below link:
#BtoDDImplantSize

Implant size

Thank you for your question and pictures. Bra sizes are not very helpful in describing breast size since different designers have different standards on how they make their bras. What matters is not what your bra tag reads, but how you look in proportion to the rest of your body. I would encourage you to meet with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your goals, be accurately measured and try on different “sizers“ to see what suits you. I am located in downtown Seattle I would welcome opportunity to meet with you and help you choose what is best for you.

Mary Lee Peters, MD