I have Excessive Vaginal Flatulence, Will ThermiVa Help?

Can ThermiVA help with excessive vaginal flatulence?

ThermiVa and vaginal flatulence

Women are always surprised that air can actually get trapped into the vagina and be released like flatulence (gas). This often happens when the vagina has been stretched out or enlarged due to the effects of vaginal childbirth or pelvic organ prolapse. ThermiVa can help to some degree with vaginal flatulence but prior to considering this, I would recommend a thorough physical exam by a Urogynecologist are someone who is trained and experienced in pelvic floor disorders to assess whether ThermiVa would be a reasonable option. Best wishes.

ThermiVa & Vaginal Flatulence

Yes. ThermiVa uses RF which causes the collagen in the tissue of the vaginal wall to expand. This results in a tighter inner feel of the vaginal canal minimizing air to get trapped and escape occasionally. 

Camille Cash, MD

ThermiVa can reduce vaginal flatulence

ThermiVaTM is a temperature-regulated radiofrequency heat technology that treats vaginal laxity sensation (looseness) and tightens the labia externally and the vagina internally. It is FDA approved for treatment of vaginal laxity. It is an office-based treatment that is non-ablative, painless, there is no anesthesia, no downtime, no lasers, no discharge, no sloughing off of the vaginal mucosa. Because this was a new device in my office that I invested in, of course, I tried it on myself. It’s like a warm massage of the vaginal walls that doesn’t hurt. The high radiofrequency heat energy promotes new growth of collagen and improved coordination of muscle activity and strength. Increased collagen is what tightens up the looser vaginal mucosa all along the vaginal canal and near the vaginal opening. With a tighter opening, it is likely that less air may enter the vagina and get trapped. Hence, less flatulence.

Alison Tate, MD
Pasadena Urogynecologist

Vaginal flatulence occurs because the vaginal cavity has become large enough to contain a pocket of air rather than remain just a potential space.  Usually this is because the vagina has been damaged from childbirth.

When vaginal flatulence is the biggest concern, its important to be examined by a gynecologist or urogynecologist experienced with pelvic floor repair.  Thermiva may be an effective treatment, or the physician may recommend a surgical repair.

Thermiva shrinks the vaginal wall and promotes new collagen ingrowth into the tissue.  If the issue causing the flatus is mild, it may very well be the right thing for you.

Treatment of Vaginal looseness with #ThermiVa

Vaginal flatulence   may be do in part to laxity of tissues.  This can occur normally with sexual activity or just doing daily activities if the tissue loose support. Estrogen replacement and Thermi are good options

Vaginal flatulence

In most case vaginal flatulence is caused by air getting in the vaginal canal due to the walls not closing together. If you have relatively minor laxity then ThermiVa or a Monalisa will help this. If the laxity is more severe then you may need a more extensive procedure like a vaginalplasty. But as both ThermaVa and Monalisa procedures are minor with a small degree of risk it may be worth a try. I would make sure that you talk to the doctor first and expresses your goals beforehand 

John Baten, MD
Jackson OB/GYN

Vaginal Flatulence - thermiva

Thanks for your question -

Thermiva uses radio frequency energy to tighten vaginal and perineal tissue.  There are several very solid research papers documenting efficacy in terms of vaginal tightening.  Like any treatment you should have an evaluation to see if you're right for this procedure but patients have had significant benefits from this great non-invasive treatment.

I hope this helps!

ThermiVa and Vaginal Flatulence: It can help.

Thank you for asking this important question and having the courage to share your story.  ThermiVa has been shown to contract and tighten the vaginal tissue by using heat to coil collagen and induce new collagen formation.  It may even work to strengthen pelvic muscles.  In doing this it often helps with vaginal flatulence.  My advice is to be seen by a board certified gynecologist who has experience in pelvic dysfunction to take a look at your anatomy and see whether surgical correction or ThermiVa would be a better option for you.  Good luck to you in your treatment!

ThermiVA & Vaginal Flatulence

Yes, vaginal flatulence can be lessened after a series of Thermiva treatments. The overall tightening and strengthening of the tissue provides relief of this embarrassing condition.

Jenny Weyler, MD
Worcester Physician

Vaginal flatulence

Yes, I  have seen some nice results with improvement in vaginal tightness and improvement of vaginal flatulence. It will also help with overall vaginal tightness and improved sensation. 

Cheri Ong, MD, FACS