I had Bell's palsy 9 mo. ago which left my eyelid droopy. Would Botox help raise my eyelid back to its previous position?(photo)

I'd prefer a minimally invasive eyelid procedure, if possible. Prior to Bell's palsy (from which I've otherwise made a full recovery), my whole upper lid could be seen when my eye was open, with no hooding or sag, & eyeliner on the upper lid was clearly visible, which really helped my appearance. If not Botox, is there a laser or a filler that can SAFELY help this situation? (I'm not concerned about my ungroomed droopy eyebrows, even though I probably should be!)

Post Bell's Palsy Cosmetic Treatments

Great question! I specialize in treating patients with various forms of facial paralysis, and help patients like you who have residual effects of Bell’s palsy on a regular basis. I would recommend scheduling a consultation with a specialist like myself who can assess you in person and determine what kind of treatment would be most beneficial for you. I caution you not to seek treatment with just any plastic surgeon or dermatologist. It will be important for you to see someone who has a background in treating patients with facial paralysis to ensure that you get the best outcome. It’s possible that Botox could be an effective treatment to address your concerns. I often use Botox to help lift the brows , which makes the upper lid more visible. A consultation will help to determine exactly what types of treatment you are a good candidate for. I see patients from all over the world, and even offer appointments via Skype if you are interested to discuss your options in greater detail.

Drooping Eyelid After Bells Palsy

this needs a browlift or eye lid surgery, botox cannot be used to raise the brow in the amount that is needed.  If you are looking to even the brows botox maybe able to help but I have found in most instances if your bells palsy is chronic it needs surgery to fix.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Botox can help

Botox can be used to help the asymmetries that can occur with Bell's palsy.  An experienced injector can place small amounts to improve your look.

Bells's Palsy and droop

Usually the results of a Bell's Palsy will resolve on its own. A small amount of Botox can sometimes help this process.  I would consult your neurologist before proceeding with any injections.  Best, Dr. Green

Bell's palsy and droopy eyelids

Hi Mimi,

Is your eyelid droopy all the time or just with certain facial expression? Do you find you eye closes when you smile or movement in the face is not a problem at all? 

I think you are not having any problem with facial expression and movement. If that is the case, I think removing the droopy skin in the eyelid and sometimes lifting the tail of the brow can make a big difference and open your eyes. We can often do these procedure in the office. Although they do involve a cut in the skin, you would be surprised how easy the recovery can be and how big of a difference it can make. Botox can be used around your eye to try to lift the tail of the brow, but it only lifts it a few milimiters. I think it might not be enough to get you the results you want. It is certainly worth trying as it will wear off and so the effects are reversible.

If you are having problems with facial expression, then Botox could really help. Some patients after bells find that their eyes want to close when they smile or their mouth contracts when then close their eye. If this is your case, seek care with a doctor with experience in facial paralysis for tailored Botox. 

Hope this helps!
good luck 

Myriam Loyo, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bells Palsy 9 months ago

Majority of patient will recover motor function from Bells Palsy.  It is important you obtain physical therapy to show you how to properly exercise the muscle to help lift your eyebrows.   Small amount of Botox/Dysport can help with situation if you have sufficient muscle strength in forehead. 

I had Bell's palsy 9 months ago, which left my eyelid droopy.

Thank you for your question. Botox could possibly help you with treating some droopiness. You will require an in person evaluation to assess your muscle function. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Botox lifting of eyelids

Botox can be a great option for reducing movement lines around the eyes and may lift the lateral portion of the brow.  Small elevations of the brow with neuromodulators may have a small effect on hooding of the eyelids.  However, generally there is not much improvement to the lid itself.  Combining some botox with some filler in the lateral portion of the brow can provide more lifting of the lid; however, in patients with significantly drooping, the most optimal solution is a surgical eye lid lift or blepharoplasty.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

An upper blepharoplasty may be your best bet

Thank you for your question. It is difficult to assess your question without a photograph showing both eyes for comparison.  If you have lost some function of your forehead muscle resulting in some drooping of your brow, you will have more extra skin in your upper lid on that side.  When Botox is placed in the crows feet area, it can allow some elevation of the lateral brow when you have normal function of the forehead muscle. If that muscle is weakened due to Bell's palsy, that probably won't happen.  Botox in your forehead may only make it worse.  A brow lift on that side may help significantly but that is a bigger procedure than just removing skin from the upper lid.  Fillers won't help. Good luck. 

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon