I am a 65 year young female with loose skin under chin. Could Kybella improve my appearance by tightening the skin? (photo)

Kybella and neck tightening versus Thermage

Kybella is really meant to permanently decrease the amount of fat under the chin and get rid of your double chin.  However, in doing so it will also tighten this area by approximately 20%.  However, your photo shows little fat so I would encourage you to have Thermage instead of Kybella.  Thermage has had great results in treating the loose skin in the neck and jowls, particularly in your age group.  Best, Dr. Green

Kybella and Loose Skin

Kybella is a cytolytic agent that targets fat cells to treat fullness in the submental area.  Kybella will not treat skin laxity and could actually make the skin look looser.  In my practice, I always assess for skin laxity and quality when determining if a patient is the right candidate for Kybella.  If the skin laxity is mild to moderate, it may be possible to improve the issue with multiple treatments of non-ablative 1540 fraxel laser and a medical grade skin care regimen.  After a few months, I will re-assess the patient to see if their loose skin has retracted to determine if they are now a good candidate for Kybella. Kybella is a great non-invasive option for patients that are dissatisfied with their chin and jawline profile. 

Laurie A. Casas, MD, FACS

Kybella for loose skin under neck

I would choose Kybella primarily for it's ability to soften and reduce the double chin appearance and not the skin laxity in the same area.  You will see some skin tightening, but Kybella may not be the best option for tightening alone, particularly if you don't have any submental fat.  I would recommend visiting with a board certified plastic surgeon who has incorporated Kybella into their practice as they would be best in a position to discuss your surgical vs non-surgical options with you.

Kybella and Thermitight

Thank you for your question. Kybella has been recently FDA-approved for the treatment of submental fullness and is the only non-invasive treatment for the reduction of “double chins”. Kybella will permanently destroy fat cells in the targeted area as well as offering limited skin tightening to the treated area. Other benefits include:

Minimally invasive
No downtime
Better appearance, youthful look
No surgery
No general anesthesia
Very rare and minimal side effects (typically bruising, pain, and redness at the injection points)

For skin tightening of the neck you could have ThermiTight performed in conjunction with Kybella. ThermiTight is a minimally invasive procedure that will dramatically improve skin laxity in the treated area. I suggest consulting with a qualified physician for a full consultation.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Kybella for Loose Skin

You are a great looking 65!
Kybella is indicated for excess fat, not excess skin. It is the very early stages of use of Kybella, but I do not expect to learn it will be an ideal treatment for skin tightening. For the best advice, see a well trained plastic surgeon with extensive experience with both neck lifts and Kybella. Also be sure to loom at the photos your surgeon provides, be sure the treatments are not stock photos and are actual patients of his or her practice.  

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Can I use Kybella to reduce skin under my neck?

The question you ask is an excellent one. I am sorry, but Kybella would not be a good choice for your concerns as it could, and most likely would, make things worse in their appearance. As the face ages, we see the development jowls, soft tissue excess in the face and neck, as well as an overall descent of the facial soft tissues. To correct these changes patients are best treated with a facelift or a neck lift, depending on their desires and their clinical condition. These operations are not simply the removal of excess, inelastic skin, but a resuspension of the facial tissues that provide a more youthful appearance. Simply stated, a facelift is a “jaw defining” procedure that appropriately re-establishes the natural and youthful jaw line that is obscured by the sagging of facial and neck tissues. Hopefully this is helpful to you.

Be healthy and be well,

James M. Ridgway, MD, FACS

James M. Ridgway, MD, FACS
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella

You should be careful with Kybella use and loose skin. Deoxycholic acid is Kybella an FDA approved injectable that can reduce the fat benathe the chin. The skin will tighten a little but this procedure does not replace a neck lift. Ultimately you need a consultation to see if you are a good candidate. 

Frank J. Ferraro, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Kybella reduces fat under the chin area along the neck

That is a good question.  Every person has different qualities to the chin and neck area that influence your options for the best treatment.  Those with loose skin and neck "bands" or platysmal banding, may have results that accentuate these qualities once the submental fat has been reduced with Kybella.  For this reason, Kybella sometimes is not the best option for improving the neck's appearance.  A consultation with your plastic surgeon should help you determine if Kybella or other options, such as surgery with liposuction, would be best for you.

Grant Stevens, MD

Kybella vs Liposuction

Kybella is for submental fat reduction.  It would be  tremendous if there was some tightening but no one can promise you that.  You should be seen and examined to determine whether Kybella or another technique is best for you.

Kybella Injection

Kybella injection is indicated for improvement in the appearance of moderate to severe submental fat (under the chin). While it may help in tightening the skin post treatment as an added benefit, Kybella injection is not indicated for skin tightening alone. However, a neck lift with or without platysmaplasty, Mini Lift, Ultherapy and Venus Freeze as well as botox treatment will target your primary concern. A comprehensive consultation with a skillful healthcare provider should guide you in deciding what's most effective and appropriate.

Sarmela Sunder, MD