High areas and indentations after fat transfer about 8 years ago. Can this be fixed? (photos)

About 8 years ago, I had Fat transfer to try to soften the under eye hollow area but the dr also added around the cheekbone area. One Dr told me that the DR over filled area. Either way, now it looks terrible. I am afraid to go back to the original Dr because I don't want him to mess me up worse. My trust is very low now. How can this be fixed? Any facial movement seems to make the indentations worse especially smiling.

Fixing fat grafting issues

There are a few approaches to fixing contour issues after prior fat grafting. Surgical removal from behind the eyelid can help to reduce the bulges you are seeing.  Microliposuction is a specialized technique that can also be used but is usually not fully corrective.  Injectable Kybella is an off-label possibility to reduce the bulges and can be done gradually as a fat-dissolving injection.  You should seek someone experienced with fat grafting and revision eyelid surgery and you should expect that more than one procedure may be required.  

Attached below is a link to my podcast episode that explores these issues.  I hope this helps.  Good luck!

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Correcting bad results from facial fat transfer

It does appear that you were someone over treated and some fat was placed in areas it may not have needed volume.

The two treatments are to try to remove the grafted fat or to add volume in order to make things look more even.

I would be very hesitant to add more volume and since you appear to have the look of someone with too much facial fat volume.

Removing fat after facial fat transfer can be difficult at times not possible.

You need to have several in person consultations to see if someone's willing to work with you.

Certain areas may be amenable to direct excision or very careful liposuction.

Removing facial fat with liposuction is very different than other parts of the body and should be done with great caution and at times not be done at all read

I would not rely on casual recommendations from RealSelf but rather focus on several in person consultations.

Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Facial Sculpting Using Fillers Like Voluma, Radiesse, Lyft, Juvederm and Sculptra and Fat

I find the best option is using fillers like restylane silk or belotero.  Secondarily sculptra, PRP do well to improve symmetry and volumize the face. Please see an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.