H Cup At 15 Years? Would A Reduction Be Reasonable Any Time Soon?

I'm 5'5 and about 164 lbs. When i lay down it takes a while to straighten out my back because of the pain, almost constant neck pain. They already sag, the areolas are at a 2inch diameter. I'm heavily selfconscious and i feel like people will not like me as much because of my body shape, that and the cat calls. Working out is a pain, bras are very expensive. Will exercising more help? I find it very hard to wait so long for a reduction because of my social issues and exercising difficulties.

Yes

I don't believe in any specific age for a reduction. You are at a time of your life that you should be enjoying yourself not worrying about your breasts. I've seen too many young ladies who waited, didn't do any sports and was barely able to participate in school events. Do it now and enjoy one of the best times of your life. The only risk (other than the usual reduction risks) is that you might continue to enlarge and need a later touchup.

Frederick Plastic Surgeon

If your breasts are fully developed and you are healthy and at a stable weight, you are likely a good candidate for breast reduction.  The tradeoffs are permanent scars around the areolas and the lower part of the breasts and the inability to breast feed.  I have never had a reduction patient - regardless of their age- regret this operation.

Lisa Lynn Sowder, MD

Breast reduction at 15 years old?

If you are experiencing significant physical and emotional problems related to the size of your breasts, a breast reduction may be an appropriate decision, even though you are only 15 years old.  It's important to discuss this with your parents or guardian, and see a plastic surgeon to discuss whether or not it is right for you.   You may continue to develop more breast tissue over time, but in certain circumstances, this possibility is outweighed by the current problems you may be experiencing and the relief that a reduction can provide.

Dr. Michelle Spring

Breast Reduction

I think that you are the ideal candidate because it is hindering your daily activities and getting the procedure done will relieve you pain and make  your life that much better.

For all the reasons you mentioned, breast reduction is an excellent choice for you but should not be done until your breast size has remained stable for at least 12 months, so I suspect that is another year or two. Also understand the surgery leaves permanent scars and you may lose nipple sensitivity permanently and you may not be able to breast feed. It is not too early to see a surgeon in consultation to get all the information you need. Just be sure your mother is with you and agrees to the surgery.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Breast Reduction for a Teenager

I have performed a breast reduction on a 15 year old with excellent results. I was fortunate to have an opportunity to examine her 5 years postoperatively. Hers scars were barely visible as they faded over the years and her breasts never grew back.

There is no guarantee that the breasts won't grow back, however, if your quality of life is severely impacted now, and you are in good health, you would be an excellent candidate for bilateral breast reduction.

The procedure could be performed again, if necessary. Speak with your family about making a consultation appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon. The surgeon can go over the procedure, the scars, and the recovery process. You won't regret it.

Breast Reduction in Adolescents

It certainly sounds like you would be a good candidate for a breast reduction. Who qualifies for a breast reduction in your age group is really dependent in a number of factors such as how long your breasts have been big and if they are still getting bigger. It also depends upon your growth. Many 15 year old woman have finished growing but some have not.

Breast reduction can be very beneficial to young women in your age group and I encourage you to see a board certified plastic surgeon to see if you qualify and start the process if seeing if your insurance company will cover the procedure.

The procedure can be done with a 24 hour rapid recovery technique and most patients are back to doing most things very quickly so you could have it done during the school year without much problem.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Yes

With approval of your pediatrician and a Board certified plastic surgeon it would be reasonable at 16 to consider surgery for functional reasons.

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

I'm sorry to hear about the physical and psychosocial problems your disproportionately large breasts are causing you. It is probable that you are dealing with juvenile breast hypertrophy along with the physical and psychosocial consequences of this diagnosis.

In my practice, timing of breast reduction surgery is determined on a case-by-case basis. It is not too early to do your homework and learn as much as possible about breast reduction surgery and the potential risks and complications associated with the procedure. Hopefully you have the support of your parents as you do your homework.

Unsatisfactory scarring is one of the potential complications. Make sure you also understands that further surgery may be necessary in the future (for example if the breasts were to grow in size again).

On the other hand, breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform and I think that for the right teenager (enough symptoms) it may be an excellent option (regardless of the age).

Sometimes breast reduction surgery is covered through health insurance. The best way to obtain insurance coverage for breast reduction surgery involves some “hoops” to jump through. The more documentation you have (for example, from your primary care doctor, physical therapist, chiropractor etc.) the better when it comes to obtaining insurance “authorization” for the procedure.This documentation and letter/pictures from your plastic surgeon will help you obtain authorization. When the time is right, seek consultation with well-trained/experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to juvenile breast hypertrophy surgery), helps. Best wishes.