What is a Free Edge Labiaplasty?

Please explain what it means to have a free edge labiaplasty, is this a specific method like the trim or wedge? What's the benefit of this technique?

Labiaplasty methods

One of the two most common labiaplasty techniques is the central wedge technique, which I invented in 1995 and published in the plastic surgery textbooks. It is also known as the "V" or wedge technique. Gynecologists and most plastic surgeons perform a labioplasty very differently. They essentially trim the labia minora (inner vaginal lips) and leave a long suture line instead of the normal labial edge. Their technique is the same whether a scalpel or a laser is used. In contrast, the central wedge removes triangles of tissue and bring the normal edges together. Thus, the normal labial edges, normal color, and normal anatomy are preserved, but the darkest labial tissue is usually removed. If you have extra tissue on your clitoral hood, it can be reduced at the same time. Your clitoral hood is thick, wide, and protuberant.  It can be decreased somewhat by reducing the sides.  I pioneered a clitoropexy with clitoral hood reduction in which the clitoris is pushed closer to the pubic bone and the width, thickness, length, and protuberance of the clitoral hood can be decreased.  No matter the technique, an inexperienced or unskilled surgeon can lead to a high rate of complications, chronic scar discomfort, labial deformities, and further surgery. Gary J. Alter, M.D.
Beverly Hills, CA - Manhattan, NY

Different labiplasty techniques

Other synonyms for "free-edge labiaplasty" are "[curvi-]linear resection" and "trim technique." Please access the weblink below for a full evaluation of the different LP techniques.
Michael P Goodman, MD
Davis, CA, USA

Free edge

Free edge labiaplasty is a vertical trim compare to the wedge labiaplasty which is transverse in direction.

Deborah Sillins, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Free edge labiaplasty

Thank you for your question.  Free edge labiaplasty is vertical trim excision of labia minor. It is a different technique which leaves vertical scar where as wedge resection leave transverse scar. Please consult a board certified PS for evaluation

Free edge Labiaplasty

Thank you for your question.  A free edge labia plasty is a trim Labiaplasty as opposed to the wedge Labiaplasty.   It requires meticulous trimming which can be very accurate and precise and with properly placed sutures the results are similar to the wedge technique. Sometimes, the two are combined for optimal results.  Best wishes!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Benefit of Free-edge Labiaplasty

This is another term for a trim Labiaplasty or curvilinear Labiaplasty. The benefit of this method is that it gets rid of the outer edges of the labia which are often darker in color. Most women I've seen who have dark labia dislike not just their large labia but also the dark and wrinkly appearance. If you fit into this group then this is the type of Labiaplasty you should request for.

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

Free-edge is another term for trim labiaplasty

Free-edge labiaplasty refers to any technique which removes the natural edge of the labia minora and replaces it with a suture line. Trim labiaplasty, curvilinear labiaplasty, etc are free edge labiaplasties. Wedge and window techniques are not.

What is a free edge labiaplasty?

Thank you for sharing your question.  The two most common labiaplasty techniques are the wedge resection and trim procedures.  I would discuss with your surgeon which of these they are recommending in order to have the pros and cons of the procedure discussed.  Hope this helps.

Not a common term

I have performed these operations for over 15 years and to my knowledge that is not a common term. Ask your surgeon exactly what he or she plans to do and his or her success with it. Look at lots of "Before and After" images of your surgeon's work using this method to be sure it has a reasonable chance to deliver the result you seek.

Best Regards,
John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon