Will form stable sientra implants soften? (Photo)

I chose gummy bears because I thought they were safest and my PS (who I really like) recommended them for my body shape (oval). They feel unnaturally hard and wondering if I can/should replace with saline or silicone? They feel wide. 12 days post op.

Sientra Form Stable Implants Soften with Time!

Congratulations on your breast augmentation and for getting Sientra breast implants!  Your breast implants are absolutely the best we have.  They have been shown to be the strongest breast implants on the market and therefore have the lowest rupture rates.  They also have the lowest capsule contracture rate of all the breast implants available in the US.  Finally, they end up being the most natural feeling of all the breast implants I have used over the years. 

In the beginning, most patients, like yourself find them hard but over the first 3 months, they soften significantly.  Then over the second 3 months these breast implants soften even more as the scar around them matures.  I have even had patients say that somewhere between 6 and 12 months they softened to the point that their breast implants essentially felt like they were their own tissue and are hardly aware that they have breast implants in place.

I hope that helps and if it does please up vote this answer on the top right.  Thanks

Best regards.

Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Sientra implants do soften

Thank you for the question. Yes, your Sientra implants will soften with time. 12 days is still very early in recovery, you still have swelling at this point. However, in my experience Sientra implants (5th generation silicone) tend to take a little linger to soften than the 4th generation implants. hang in there and just be patient you will love them.

M. Bradley Calobrace, MD, FACS

Nice result for just 12 days out- wait 6 weeks to see 90% of result!

It takes at least 6 weeks after any breast augmentation to reach 90% of your long term result and your breasts will continue to soften over the course of a year.  Sientra implants are firmer than saline and the old style gel filled implants, but they are actually filled with and made of silicone.  So please don't worry at this point.  I am sure you will be very  happy with your long term results!  However if you want more cleavage or larger implant, you may wish to consider round implants over the oval shape.

We remain at this time the only office in the Capital District, Albany New York area to provide Sientra breast augmentation.  For those who prefer, I also offer Saline and Silicone Gel from the other two implant manufacturers- Allergan and Mentor. At Saratoga Springs Plastic Surgery, your breast augmentation is done right at our Joint Commission accredited office surgery center for your convenience, comfort, privacy and cost savings over the hospital or outpatient surgery center setting.

Steven Yarinsky, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Sientra implants

If you feel an anatomical Sientra implant outside of the body, you will be surprised by how soft it feels.  Because of the highly integrated shell/gel interaction, it does not need to be stiff to work.  What you are likely feeling is tightness of your tissues around the implants which will soften over time.  I have seen some patients at a year out that report their softness improved more and more over time, even up to a year out.  Be patient, let your body relax and adapt to the implants, and I would guess that what is bothering you now will be a non-issue in 3-6 months.  Good luck!

Robert Cohen, MD
Santa Monica Plastic Surgeon

Early post-op

Hi.  Initially, the Sientra implants do tend to feel quite firm.  Don't panic.  They will soften, over 3 or so months.  Try to hang in there!

Thomas Fiala, MD

Form stable implants will not soften

but your appearances are quite acceptable and unless there are compelling reasons to change things, and the risks that you may get nothing of what you seek, its best to do nothing.  You do not appear too 'wide' in your photos.  You have some swelling and you can soften as that resolves.  The implants themselves do not get softer than what you saw when you were in your surgeon's office.  

Curtis Wong, MD

Softening of Sientra Implants

Thank you for your question.  At 12 days post op, its very common for your breasts to feel a bit firm.  The textured implants have a firmness for about 6-8 weeks.  Then you will notice a significant softening.  I always let my patients know this is coming, so be patient.  I think these implants have a great balance of youthful firmness, and natural softness.  Trust your doctor and hang in there.  Make a follow up appointment to discuss your concerns if you need to, I'm sure they will help explain as well.  

Best, Dr. Schwartz

Michael R. Schwartz, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon