Fat transfer to the face and CO2 laser done at the same time, 3 weeks ago. Will the fat stay the way it looks now?

I had facial fat trasfer and CO2 laser done 3 weeks ago, and I love the results. My swelling is gone and I have no bruising. I like the amount of fat tha was put in my face. Will this fat stay the way it is now?

Duration of results

Congratulations on obtaining the results you wanted.

Generally, the effects of fat transfer can last from several months to two years or more. In some cases, the effects last indefinitely. But beyond this longevity, the most important difference between fat injections and other types of dermal fillers is that fat transfer doesn't introduce a foreign material into the body. This aspect of fat transfer is particularly beneficial for people who are allergic or sensitive to products such as collagen. Furthermore, volume enhancement provided by fat transfer lasts.

By contrast, dermal fillers that contain hyaluronic acid, break down and disappear over the several months, making additional treatments necessary. Fluctuations in weight can also increase or decrease the amount of fat present.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat Transfer

Thank you for your question in regards to fat transfer. Residual swelling may still be present only 3 weeks after these procedures. Fat will typically stay present, although with weight loss/gain the appearance of the fat can change. To be sure, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Co2 Laser and Improvement In Wrinkles, What Are Risks?

I find if the reuslts are there 6-12 week after, the fat stays.  I suggest sculptra and PRP treatments a few times to maintain the results.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Long term results after facial fat transfer

This is something you should be talking to your plastic surgeon about you.

The best we can do our give you general statements.

Three weeks is much too soon to judge final results.

You're still swollen and some of the transferred fat will be reabsorbed.

It's difficult to say what the changes will be but three months is a better time frame to start making assessments.

9 to 12 months is a good time to say results are final and any changes from thereon will be related to aging and not changes from the procedure.

find wrinkles tend to almost b eliminated a few weeks after these procedures because of the subtle skin swelling.

It's kind of the honeymoon phase so be prepared for some changes to follow.

Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

3 weeks post-op

After 3 weeks a lot of the swelling will be gone.  So you may still go down a little.  Also, the fat resorbs over the first few weeks, so a little more of that may go away too.  But you should keep looking pretty good at this point. 

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Hard to say

In the first few weeks after fat transfer and laser resurfacing, there is some swelling from the trauma of surgery. So its likely that you are seeing mostly edema right now. With fat grafting, the results are dampened at about 2-3 months and at about 6 months you see your final results. With laser resurfacing, the final effect will often take 9-12 months to present itself, as collagen production really hasn't finalized. Certainly at 3 weeks, most of the effect you are seeing is from edema still, and collagen production hasn't really even started.Be patient. You will have a nice result with time.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon