Using existing scar for implant placement? (photos)

I have an abdominal incision from breast bone to pubic bone and was wondering if the top of the incision could be used for implant placement?

Existing Scar for Implant Placement?

A critical component of achieving a good result with breast augmentation is careful and precise dissection of the implant pocket for placement of the implant. This would be even more important in a thin person such as yourself. Your existing scar is not located in a place that would allow for good visualization or appropriate dissection of the pocket. When accurately placed and closed carefully the standard incisions used for augmentation are minimally visible. 

Breast Implants and Incisions

While it may be attractive to consider using your mid line scar for insertion of breast implants for a breast augmentation, the problem is that the surgeon would have to create a large tunnel from that area over to underneath each breast and as a result the implant would want to fall back won this tunnel, thus compromising your result.  With you frame and lean body, you would be an excellent candidate for a breast augmentation but inframammary incisions would have a far better chance of providing you with a good result without complications.  I would recommend shaped gummy bear implants to give you a result with a minimal 4.5 cm incision.  I have added a video and web reference for you to learn more.
I hope that helps.
Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant scar position

We use an infra-mammary scar that is carefully positioned in the infra-mammary fold that is created by the presence of a breast implant. In my opinion, this is the optimal approach to use and we use it for 100% of our patients.

Abdominal Scar Breast Augmentation

Hello,I've actually done that a few times, many years ago when saline implants were the only ones available and I was doing so many through the belly button (TUBA's).  I do not recommend either saline implants or transumbilical/trans-scar breast augmentation anymore to anybody.  Given your extremely lean body, you want a reliable, low risk surgery with the best implants available: cohesive or highly cohesive silicone gel implants. This surgery is performed with the lowest risk of complications through an inframammary incision. Go visit a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons who specialize in breast surgery. 

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Using existing scar for implant placement?

Thank you for the picture and the question. There are many incisions that can be used to place breast implants, and some of them can be far away from the breast. So as a matter of statement, yes, that scar "could" be used to place breast implants. The problem is that the further away you get from the breast and the more atypical the approach for placement, the less precise the control of the pocket dissection, and the less predictable the results. So if you are willing to risk the possibility of a lesser quality outcome to use that scar, then that is something you would have to consider. I would not advise trading a good outcome for a scar, traditional approaches offer very minimal scarring and more predictable results. Best of luck!

Yes, that scar can be used. the better question is should it be used and the answer is probably not. The thinner the patient the more precise must be the implant pocket dissection and that would be more difficult with the existing incision. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Thank you for the question.  I would not recommend utilizing the upper part of the abdominal incision for the breast augmentation procedure. 

There are several good approaches to breast augmentation surgery;  careful/precise dissection of the breast implant "pockets" is one of the keys to success with the operation.   In my practice, I prefer the inframammary or infrareolar approach for most patients.    

For patients with very little breast tissue and/or underdeveloped inframammary fold areas,  I tend to recommend the us of an infra areolar  approach. Despite what you may hear, I think most patients can have the infraareolar incision used regardless of the size of breast implants or size of areola. The Keller funnel has made the insertion of all sizes of breast implants much easier. I think of the funnel has also made it easier to perform a true "no touch" technique ( potentially decreasing the incidence of breast implant encapsulation).

Also, personally, I think the advantages of the infraareolar incision far outweigh any theoretical disadvantages. These advantages include proximity to the planned dual plane submuscular pocket dissection, relatively hidden/forgiving location of scarring, coverage by clothing/swimming suit etc.   I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

Breast augmentation incision

Although implants could "technically" be placed through the upper part of your incision, this would be a very awkward angle from which your surgeon would have to perform a precise dissection and accurate release of the lower pectoralis muscle.  Given that precision is what determines excellent results, you would be seriously compromising your final appearance to avoid what are usually well hidden scars.  It looks like you will be a great candidate for breast augmentation.  I would recommend having it performed through breast crease scars (usually just over an inch, and hidden in the fold under the breasts).  These scars are well tolerated, have the lowest risk for complications, and will allow accurate and controlled placement of your implants.  Your main focus, in my opinion, should be on selecting the best implant style, shape and profile for your needs, which can be discussed with any experienced board certified plastic surgeon. Best of luck!

Robert Cohen, MD
Santa Monica Plastic Surgeon