Duck lips post Juvederm Volift? (Photo)

I have had very succesful experiences with Juvederm Volift in the past, but not quite this time. I had the filler injected on thursday and it is now monday and my lips look very ducky in profile. Will this change? I usually do not experience much swelling, so i am very concerned that this is my final result. What do you think? Are my upper lip overfilled and what would you suggest to fix the problem? I would hate to have the filler dissolved completely, since I have spent a lot of money over time..

Duck Lips after juvederm

Typically swelling can last up to two weeks with Juvederm.  I would give it two weeks to fully settle then return to your provider if you are still unhappy.  You can have the filler dissolved a very small amt without breaking down what you've had before.

Lip Swelling/Bumps After Fillers Such as Juvederm or Restylane -- Reverse With Hyaluronidase

If you are unhappy you can reverse the fillers with hyaluronidase. I suggest you see an expert for treatment.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Lip filler

It takes about two weeks for all swelling to resolve and see the final result of your filler. So I would give it some more time for the filler to settle in. If after this time you are still unhappy with your result I would return to your injector to help balance out your lips. 

Lenore Sikorski, MD
Orange County Dermatologist

Duck Lips after lip augmentation

First, remember that swelling of your lips after your injection can make them look bigger and fuller than the final result.  This can last about 5-10 days.  Over that time, you may still see your lips get a bit smaller as the swelling goes away.  After that, I recommend you revisit your injector and discuss what you like or don't like about your result.  Looking at your photos, it appears that too much Juvederm was injected into your upper lip compared to your lower lip. For ideal balance between your upper and lower lip, a size ratio of 1 to 1.6 is considered the goal.  This means that your lower lip should be slightly bigger than your upper lip.  For women who would like a fuller upper lip, I suggest a ratio of closer to 1 to 1.  This means that the size of your upper and lower lips should be about even.
To address your concerns, if you really don't want to have the filler dissolved, you can add more Juvederm to your lower lip to make the proportions more even.  This will help address the "duck lips" look and give you better balance.Best of luck!

Kyle T. Yamamoto, MD
Reno Facial Plastic Surgeon

Duck lips after filler

It is always needed to wait about 10 days before deciding about lip injections. Overfilling upper lip with too much upturn can create this. There are 2 options if this stays. Add more to lower to balance or remove from top with hyaluronidase. Discuss with your doctor. As you have stated, removing is not exact and can lead to more removal than you want. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD