Is the diVa laser the best vaginal rejuvenation treatment available right now?

Is this the best treatment to restore vaginal health currently on the market? 

Vaginal rejuvination

In my opinion to address issues from childbirth to Menopause issues, the diVa gives women  great options.

It's a fast procedure with minimal discomfort.  Our clients have been very happy with their results.

As far as your question of "is it the best option", we would want to have a consult to find out what your issues are, to be sure that this would be the best solution to your issues.

NO - There isn't ONE best vaginal rejuvenation treatment for everyone!

Great question, but unfortunately the answer isn't so simple. It helps to have a better understanding of what vaginal rejuvenation means. Every woman presents with different medical/obstetrical histories as well as different sexual experiences and expectations. What is important in choosing the best vaginal rejuvenation treatment is to find an experienced reconstructive and cosmetic vaginal surgeon to perform a thorough evaluation and then provide you with your best treatment options. This may include surgery.

There are dozens of different vaginal complaints that women report when they come in for consultation - all of these can be improved and fall into the category of rejuvenation. Some may be addressed non-surgically and others require surgical correction. Offering a non-surgical option, such as diVa, to a woman who needs surgical correction would lead to no benefit and an unsatisfied patient.

Vaginal rejuvenation treatments include 1) devices to improve pelvic floor function and reduce urinary incontinence, 2) O-Shot to improve orgasm function and reduce incontinence, 3) PRP injections to the vulva after Fractional CO2 for labial tightening and lightening, 4) non-surgical laser vaginal resurfacing  (diVa, FemiLift, Intima, MonaLisa, etc.), 5) Radiofrequency treatments with ThermiVa, 6) Vaginoplasty for vaginal looseness, 7) Reconstructive vaginal surgery to correct prolapse with Vaginoplasty, and 8) Aesthetic Vulvar Surgery to address large labia, large clitoral hood,, dark vulvar skin, large mons, hymenal or anal tags, etc. The list is long and it should be custom tailored to each patient.

Of the non-surgical laser vaginal resurfacing options diVa and Intima are the newest ones (as of late 2016) and thus there is very little patient treatment experience. Alma's FemiLift was the first laser released in the U.S. and thus has the longest patient track record. I was the first U.S. surgeon to use FemiLift (November 2013) in a patient for treatment of vaginal looseness. Her results were phenomenal and convinced me of it's efficacy. I have since treated hundreds of patients, ages 24 - 80, for their complaints of vaginal looseness, stress urinary incontinence, and vaginal dryness from atrophic changes of menopause. This greater than 3 year personal experience with FemiLift with no complications and a 100% Patient Worth It Rating over 24 months on RealSelf attests to it being a superior option to all other lasers on the market. ThermiVa is 97% and MonaLisa is 94%.

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Aguirre Specialty Care - Pelvic Surgery & Intimate Aesthetics®

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

Too many Vaginal Laser options?

As a urologist that has subspecialty certifcation in female pelvic medicine and reconstructive surgery I have been at the forefront of the new laser technology revolution. The Mona Lisa touch MLT laser was the first to be studied scientifically and come to market for vaginal therapies. It was first studied and developed in Italy about 5 years ago and has been used to treat The genitourinary syndrome menopause or also known as vulvavaginal atrophy. The MLT fractional CO2 laser causes micro injuries in the vaginal canal and vaginal tissue. The patients then heal their own vaginal tissue. The build up of Vaginal skin, collegen and blood vessels  restores the vaginal canal to pre-menopausal age. It has been effective in reducing the pain of vaginal intercourse, vaginal dryness, bladder infections and some forms of incontinence.

Other lasers have just started getting into this effective field of Vaginal therapy. The Erbium (diVa-  different waveform of laser energy )and Radiofrequency (THERMIVa) do not have  stringent scientific data  showing their effectiveness. However, there are a lot of Plastic Surgeon's, Ob/ gyn and dermatologist providing this form of therapy .

Diva leads the field for vaginal rejuvenation

As more vaginal rejuvenation treatments are performed, the differences between the various lasers are becoming more apparent. Aside from the obvious  - faster, better dilation and coverage, less poking/safer - the unique dual wavelength of the Diva allows for deeper resurfacing. The carbon dioxide lasers are limited by how deeply they ablate, so that after the first treatment, when the vaginal mucosa has already thickened, you get diminishing returns with each subsequent treatment. That doesn't happen with the Diva. 

I do combine platelet-rich plasma therapy with the Diva procedure, to aid with new collagen growth and blood vessels to nourish the tissue as it heals - this makes sense, since we use PRP after facial resurfacing and microneedling. 

Jessie Cheung, MD
Hinsdale Dermatologic Surgeon