What is the Diva Laser?

Could you explain what the Diva Laser for vaginal rejuvenation is such as what type of technology does it use and how does it compare to the other treatments such as the Monalisa Touch and FemiLift?

The Diva laser for vaginal resurfacing

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Good question. Mona Lisa and FemiLift are CO2 lasers. Diva is a combo of an Erbium:YAG laser (same as IntimaLase and IncontiLase) and a 1470 diode laser (commonly used for varicose veins and laser lipo). Both CO2 and Erbium lasers are being used successfully for nonsurgical vaginal rejuvenation and have been studied for the past 8 years or so in this regard. The 1470 diode laser hasn't been studied as extensively for vaginal rejuvenation. There is no comparative data available since the machine only came out very recently. Time will tell if adding the 1470 diode laser is a benefit to vaginal rejuvenation or a marketing tool to sell lasers.

I love the diVa Laser!

The diVa laser is awesome! DiVa delivers both ablative and non-ablative wavelengths to the same treatment area: with this laser there's a 2940 nm wavelength for of ablation (superficial treatment that stimulates collagen re-growth and plumping of the tissue), and a 1470 nm wavelength for coagulation to the vaginal mucosa (for more of a tightening effect). This gives diVa the ability to customize treatments based on the patient’s vagina concerns like laxity and stress urinary incontinence.

I have actually had the diVa procedure done and can say it works! I've given birth to twins so had some of these issues, so I got two treatments (patients usually need patients need 2-3 treatments spaced about a month apart).  Also it only takes 3 minutes and didn't hurt, so you can get in and out of the doctor's office pretty quickly!

Best of luck in your search!

Balanced opinions are hard to find

I like Dr. Pelosi's response that the Erbium YAG and Carbon dioxide platforms are well studied.  The 1470 diode is new. I feel the other response from a provider stating that erbium is not well studied may be a little overstated given the large number of papers demonstrating the efficacy and safety of ebium:YAG versus CO2 in medical lasers. In fact, any device that heats collagen and causes ablation or sub-ablation can stimulate collagen, glycogen and tissue tightening.  Furthermore, erbium:YAG is a highly tunable wavelength that allows providers to deliver safe and effective ablation.  Interestingly, erbium:YAG is so flexible that it can be tuned to give a pulse almost exactly like CO2.  Additionally, adding 1470 diode to erbium creates even more coagulation than CO2 alone at most fluences, a fact proven by histology.

When doctors get excited about which wavelength is better, typically there are very few papers that are head to head studies. Interestingly, there are papers showing that the exact same lasers from two different companies (CO2 versus CO2) dont even perform the same. To then argue wavelength versus wavelength becomes very precarious indeed.  Those arguments are typically fraught with bias and misinformation.

Two or three things make DIVA stand out. First, it has a proven wavelength (erbium:YAG). But it also has a wavelength (1470 diode) that has demonstrated effects stimulating collagen in regular skin and now vaginal tissue.  Adding heat from any source (radiofrequency, infrared, ultrasound) can cause collagen production.  I believe all these energies can be helpful. I also believe CO2, erbium:YAG, 1470 diodes, 1540nm and any laser that causes heat can have some benefit. 

However, the wavelength alone is not what makes the procedure stand out. DIVA brings to the market an automated, fast and relatively pain-free procedure.  Patients are uniformly happy. I guess thats the only fact that matters.  Providers who look at the histology from DIVA (the pulses are more uniform and evenly spaced than other vaginal lasers, and a higher percentage of tissue is treated) and the automated format typically much prefer it. DIVA also brings flexibility because there are two wavelengths that can be tuned to a patients needs or situation. 

In the end, it is the user not the tool. A simple pencil in an artists hands is much greater than a whole painting studio to a novice.  If your doctor has a CO2 laser for vaginal rejuvenation, and you trust your doctor, then be assured they know what they are doing.  If your doctor has a DIVA, then be assured they have effective technology and patients are highly satisfied with it.  Doctors, myself included, tend to get very excited and territorial when it comes to lasers.  I work closely with Sction. That makes me slightly biased because Im familiar with the technology. I know it like the back of my hand. But thats ok with me. Im also biased towards my children. That doesnt mean they arent amazing. 

I hope you find my response helpful.  Best of luck.
-Chris 

Too many Lasers to pick from?

The genitourinary syndrome of menopause (Menopause) cause Vulvavaginal atrophy as most women reach their early 50s. These women may complain of vaginal dryness, painful intercourse and incontinence due to the lack of estrogen and the thinning of the vaginal tissue. The diVa is a new technology with no long term data (more than 1 year)  in the laser vaginal revitalization realm. It works at a different wavelength than the first vaginal laser created the MonaLisa Touch (MLT). The MLT appears to be the most effective laser since it is being performed at major hospitals in the country including Cleveland Clinic and Stanford. The diVa is a erbium laser and theoretically goes deeper into the tissue. However, the MLT a fractional Co2 laser has scientifically proven biological changes to the vaginal tissue to restore the vaginal lining, collegen and blood vessels to premenopausal age.

The Diva Laser

The diVa laser is an erbium laser used for vaginal tightening, improved moisture, and relief of urinary incontinence.  It requires 3 treatments, done one month apart, and then touched up once a year thereafter.  \

Patients report improved sexual function, less irritation/dryness, and improved leaking (especially after childbirth).  What I love about this laser is that it does not require an in and out motion during the treatment like the others (I wouldn't feel comfortable, even as a woman, with the "manipulation" required by the other treatments out there).  The treatment takes 3 minutes and is very well tolerated with just numbing cream.

All in all, an awesome thing to do for yourself.

Hope that helps!
Sheila Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

How to Choose a Laser for Vaginal Rejuvenation and Why We Chose DIVA

After extensive research into the different treatments for vaginal rejuvenation, we decided on DIVA for our clinic. Any energy delivered to the vaginal wall will cause damage that makes your vaginal tissues regrow. The key is the amount and type of energy delivered and how much of the area is treated. You want a "magic middle" where enough tissue, deep enough, is treated to cause almost complete regrowth of the vaginal lining. It was clear to us after extensive research that the DIVA offered the best scientific and "real patient" results. It is also clear to us that as the science moves forward, that the more energy you can safely and reliably deliver to the vaginal wall, the better results you will get. 

Diva is a hybrid laser treatment that is in many surgeon's opinions the most reproducible...

laser vaginal rejuvenation treatment available on the market today.  It is newer to the market, than the Monalisa touch, Femilift, Core Intima, and Thermiva.  These modalities use some method to create heat, either via RF (radiofrequency) or laser.  The RF treatments are less desirable, do not have duration of treatment and typically take longer to perform and many have the variability on who is doing the procedure. The Sciton Diva is a cadillac of a treatment, virtually takes 7 minutes, we recommend 2 treatments and virtually improves stress incontinence, lubrication, sensation, and alleviates painful intercourse.  At Capizzi MD, we have 2 Scitons and love the technology.  There is no better laser manufactured on the market. 

Peter J. Capizzi, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

DiVa ?

Thanks so much for your question. diVa is the first and only hybrid fractional laser for the treatment for the vagina. It has several features that makes it different than the Monalisa. The Monalisa is a CO2 laser where as the diVa is a hybrid laser. Meaning that it has two different lasers. One that goes deeper into the tissues and one that has more energy that goes more superficial. This allows the laser to treat the deeper layer that has the collagen, nerves and blood vessels this ads support and new blood vessels and the more superficial layer the epithelium for increased moisture. The diVa is also automated where as the Monalisa is manual. This means that the diVa rotates and backs itself out of the vagina. This gives you a more uniform and precise treatment of the vaginal tissues. The diVa is also done with inside a vaginal dilator. This allows the vaginal tissues to be expanded slightly to treat more surface area and it also keeps the laser head from touching any part of the vaginal tissue. Having the laser head not come in contact with the vaginal tissue keeps the laser head cleaner and more precise. The vaginal dilators are disposable so this is much more sanitary for the patient. 

Michael Coyle, DO, FPMRS
Pensacola Urogynecologist

DiVa laser is different

There are a lot of vaginal rejuvenation devices on the market. A few use radio frequency and there are several that rely on CO2 and some of these can provide good results. Sciton's diVa is the only laser that uses a hybrid erbium laser for vaginal treatments. It's the same wavelengths used in our Halo treatments, and it provides exceptional results. The other thing that sets diVa apart is the automation of the treatment. Sciton's diVa laser has engineered out many of the variables that exist with other lasers. It is the most advanced laser available for vaginal rejuvenation.

Sarah A. Mess, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

DiVa is the best option for Vaginal Rejuvination

WHO: Women who are experiencing vaginal dryness, painful intercourse, vaginal laxity, loss of sexual sensitivity, urinary incontinence, mild pelvic organ prolapse, orgasmic disorders. Also, women who have experienced childbirth and/or going through menopause. WHAT: The worlds first and only Hybrid Fractional Laser, to provide independent levels of ablation and coagulation, as well as varying levels of density. This allows the provider to customize the treatment based on the patient’s desired results.

RESULTS: The result is an increase in the thickness and elasticity of the vaginal wall, an increase in vaginal moisture and an increase in sexual satisfaction. The diVa also can resolve problems with leakage of urine during exercise, running, laughing, and coughing.

ACTUAL PROCEDURE: It takes 3-5 minutes, minimal discomfort (pain score of 3/10), and minimal down time. Patients are able to return to work same day. 

DIFFERENCES BETWEEN LASERS: CO2 and Er:YAG 

diVa selected and utilized 2940nm (Er:YAG) and 1470nm (diode) wavelengths because:

A. Er:YAG has very high absorption of water. Water is the main chromophore in human mucosal tissues. CO2 is Not as highly absorbed in water as Er:YAG. 

B. Ability to create controlled column of ablation surrounded by tunable layer of coagulation. This leads to increased healing, and less downtime. 

Interestingly, erbium:YAG is so flexible that it can be tuned to give a pulse almost exactly like CO2.  Additionally, adding 1470 diode to erbium creates even more coagulation than CO2 alone at most fluences, a fact proven by histology.

Chris Rob said it best: "In the end, it is the user not the tool. A simple pencil in an artists hands is much greater than a whole painting studio to a novice."