What is the Diva Laser?

Could you explain what the Diva Laser for vaginal rejuvenation is such as what type of technology does it use and how does it compare to the other treatments such as the Monalisa Touch and FemiLift?

The Diva laser for vaginal resurfacing

Good question. Mona Lisa and FemiLift are CO2 lasers. Diva is a combo of an Erbium:YAG laser (same as IntimaLase and IncontiLase) and a 1470 diode laser (commonly used for varicose veins and laser lipo). Both CO2 and Erbium lasers are being used successfully for nonsurgical vaginal rejuvenation and have been studied for the past 8 years or so in this regard. The 1470 diode laser hasn't been studied as extensively for vaginal rejuvenation. There is no comparative data available since the machine only came out very recently. Time will tell if adding the 1470 diode laser is a benefit to vaginal rejuvenation or a marketing tool to sell lasers.

I love the diVa Laser!

The diVa laser is awesome! DiVa delivers both ablative and non-ablative wavelengths to the same treatment area: with this laser there's a 2940 nm wavelength for of ablation (superficial treatment that stimulates collagen re-growth and plumping of the tissue), and a 1470 nm wavelength for coagulation to the vaginal mucosa (for more of a tightening effect). This gives diVa the ability to customize treatments based on the patient’s vagina concerns like laxity and stress urinary incontinence.

I have actually had the diVa procedure done and can say it works! I've given birth to twins so had some of these issues, so I got two treatments (patients usually need patients need 2-3 treatments spaced about a month apart).  Also it only takes 3 minutes and didn't hurt, so you can get in and out of the doctor's office pretty quickly!

Best of luck in your search!

Too many Lasers to pick from?

The genitourinary syndrome of menopause (Menopause) cause Vulvavaginal atrophy as most women reach their early 50s. These women may complain of vaginal dryness, painful intercourse and incontinence due to the lack of estrogen and the thinning of the vaginal tissue. The diVa is a new technology with no long term data (more than 1 year)  in the laser vaginal revitalization realm. It works at a different wavelength than the first vaginal laser created the MonaLisa Touch (MLT). The MLT appears to be the most effective laser since it is being performed at major hospitals in the country including Cleveland Clinic and Stanford. The diVa is a erbium laser and theoretically goes deeper into the tissue. However, the MLT a fractional Co2 laser has scientifically proven biological changes to the vaginal tissue to restore the vaginal lining, collegen and blood vessels to premenopausal age.

Why diVa is better

Diva is virtually pain free, and can be customized,which is the big difference from the Monalisa Touch,  while being safe. There is no risk of burning the cervix, or
hot spots in the vaginal canal, which can be caused by the other
technology available. The procedure is very fast, three
minutes per treatment, and comfortable.  The dilator isn't moving during
the treatment, which is very important when the patient is really dry. 
Diva is a consistent treatment producing consistent predictable
results, with only 3 treatments for the majority of patients, and no
adverse events reported. Diva delivers both ablative and non-ablative
wavelengths to the same treatment area, with this laser there's a 2940
nm wavelength for ablation (superficial treatment that stimulates
collagen re-growth and plumping of the tissue), and a 1470 nm wavelength
for coagulation to the vaginal mucosa (for the tightening effect). 
This gives me the ability to customize treatments based on the patient's
concerns like laxity and stress urinary incontinence.

Balanced opinions are hard to find

I like Dr. Pelosi's response that the Erbium YAG and Carbon dioxide platforms are well studied.  The 1470 diode is new. I feel the other response from a provider stating that erbium is not well studied may be a little overstated given the large number of papers demonstrating the efficacy and safety of ebium:YAG versus CO2 in medical lasers. In fact, any device that heats collagen and causes ablation or sub-ablation can stimulate collagen, glycogen and tissue tightening.  Furthermore, erbium:YAG is a highly tunable wavelength that allows providers to deliver safe and effective ablation.  Interestingly, erbium:YAG is so flexible that it can be tuned to give a pulse almost exactly like CO2.  Additionally, adding 1470 diode to erbium creates even more coagulation than CO2 alone at most fluences, a fact proven by histology.

When doctors get excited about which wavelength is better, typically there are very few papers that are head to head studies. Interestingly, there are papers showing that the exact same lasers from two different companies (CO2 versus CO2) dont even perform the same. To then argue wavelength versus wavelength becomes very precarious indeed.  Those arguments are typically fraught with bias and misinformation.

Two or three things make DIVA stand out. First, it has a proven wavelength (erbium:YAG). But it also has a wavelength (1470 diode) that has demonstrated effects stimulating collagen in regular skin and now vaginal tissue.  Adding heat from any source (radiofrequency, infrared, ultrasound) can cause collagen production.  I believe all these energies can be helpful. I also believe CO2, erbium:YAG, 1470 diodes, 1540nm and any laser that causes heat can have some benefit. 

However, the wavelength alone is not what makes the procedure stand out. DIVA brings to the market an automated, fast and relatively pain-free procedure.  Patients are uniformly happy. I guess thats the only fact that matters.  Providers who look at the histology from DIVA (the pulses are more uniform and evenly spaced than other vaginal lasers, and a higher percentage of tissue is treated) and the automated format typically much prefer it. DIVA also brings flexibility because there are two wavelengths that can be tuned to a patients needs or situation. 

In the end, it is the user not the tool. A simple pencil in an artists hands is much greater than a whole painting studio to a novice.  If your doctor has a CO2 laser for vaginal rejuvenation, and you trust your doctor, then be assured they know what they are doing.  If your doctor has a DIVA, then be assured they have effective technology and patients are highly satisfied with it.  Doctors, myself included, tend to get very excited and territorial when it comes to lasers.  I work closely with Sction. That makes me slightly biased because Im familiar with the technology. I know it like the back of my hand. But thats ok with me. Im also biased towards my children. That doesnt mean they arent amazing. 

I hope you find my response helpful.  Best of luck.
-Chris 

The Diva Laser

The diVa laser is an erbium laser used for vaginal tightening, improved moisture, and relief of urinary incontinence.  It requires 3 treatments, done one month apart, and then touched up once a year thereafter.  \

Patients report improved sexual function, less irritation/dryness, and improved leaking (especially after childbirth).  What I love about this laser is that it does not require an in and out motion during the treatment like the others (I wouldn't feel comfortable, even as a woman, with the "manipulation" required by the other treatments out there).  The treatment takes 3 minutes and is very well tolerated with just numbing cream.

All in all, an awesome thing to do for yourself.

Hope that helps!
Sheila Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

What is the Diva Laser?

I must agree with Dr. Pelosi. The Diva laser is an unproven tool. We do, however, know for certain that the Erbium-Yag platform is inferior to the fractional CO2 laser platform (such as the FemiLift by Alma Lasers). At this time,  the Fractional CO2 laser is the gold standard in vaginal rejuvenation and the FemiLift is the gold standard of fractional CO2 lasers. Marketing slogans and tactics aside, there is no evidence that the Diva is effective or that it will be effective, NONE. So, for now, I strongly recommend that any woman who is thinking about having laser vaginal rejuvenation look for the closest FemiLift provider. By way of disclosure, I do speak for Alma Lasers but I do so because I believe that FemiLift is the best product out there today. I also speak for, and research for several other vaginal laser manufacturers. Good luck!

Steven M. Gitt, MD, FACS (in memoriam)
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon