How do you determine if Dental Implants or Mini Dental Implants are best for you? How are they different?

Mini vs. regular implants

In general surgeons prefer longer and wider implants. Every tooth is different and requires different foundation. If you do not have enough bone, some practitioners use mini implants. I personally prefer to graft and reconstruct the jaw and place longer implants which have shown good results 

New York Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Mini dental implants

Mini dental implants are narrow diameter implants. They are great for retention of removable dentures and the support of some narrow teeth. They can be placed with minimal amount of remaining bone. On the other hand, regular implants have diameter more than 3 mm and need more bone width. Regular implants usually last longer and can support bigger restorations. 

Mini-implants vs conventional dental implants

Mini-implants are designed for temporary support of a provisional (temporary) prosthesis. For routine replacement of missing teeth with long-term success, conventional implants are recommended. they differ by their design, width, and support characteristics and are indicated for entirely different situations.

H. Ryan Kazemi, DMD
Bethesda Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Mini vs Full Size Implants

For replacing a single tooth or doing fixed bridgework standard implants are usually the best choice.  

For very narrow bone minis can often be done without bone grafting.

I typically use minis to hold in dentures.  They give you instant results of maintaining your denture.

The best choice is to place standard implants and then if you want immediate use utilize mini's as an interim treatment.  

Minis are more likely to fail if overloaded.

Each case should be considered individually and I suggest you have this discussion with your doctor.

Minis probably a poor choice in patients with osteoporosis.