Chin implant or rhinoplasty for asymmetrical nose/face? (photos)

Hi there, I have always felt that I have had an asymmetrical face, with my nose being the most noticeable. I believe my nostrils to be obviously lopsided, and enhanced more when I smile. Though I don't know if surgery can fix this problem since I don't think its too large or bumpy. Since I have a very round short chin, would a chin implant (longer, more pointed) draw attention from it and give me the illusion of more facial symmetry, or is it possible to have rhinoplasty to fix my asymmetry?

Chin and nose relationships for facial cosmetic surgery

Your chin position relative to your lower lip and other facial features appears to be normal. You have some C-shaping along the length of your nose and your nasal tip is mildly underprojected. A rhinoplasty would address these two issues.

Chin implant or rhinoplasty for asymmetrical nose/face?

Hi, I have performed many facial shaping procedures using dermal fillers, facial implants (cheek, chin), liposuction and/or facelifts for over 30 years. From the photos, your cheeks are flat anteriorly (in the front) and the nose is c-shaped with an under-rotated nasal tip (makes the nose appear long).  The chin however has the proper projection and as such doesn't warrant a chin implant.   Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces. Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front. Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face. I frequently combine Rhinoplasty with Chin Augmentation and/or Cheek Augmentation. While Rhinoplasty can make the nose more straight and rotate the tip, by itself it can't make the face appear more feminine like cheek augmentation.Hope this helps

Rhinoplasty for asymmetric nose

Based on your photos it appears that you would be a good candidate for rhinoplasty for an asymmetric nose, but an in person examination would be essential.  Your chin size and projection looks good and I don't think a chin implant is necessary

Sam Naficy, MD, FACS

Chin implant and rhinoplasty procedures

A Chin implant is usually performed for patients who have a weak and recessive chin profile.  A chin implant is used to augment the mandible forward, or give more width.   Chin implants are manufactured in a large variety of sizes and shapes, are composed of Silastic, and can even be custom carved when necessary.  A rhinoplasty procedure can accomplish straightening a crooked nose, giving more sidewall definition to the nasal bones, shaving down the dorsal hump, and narrowing the tip.  It is also possible to reduce the amount of width of the nose when smiling. Everyone has some degree of facial asymmetry, which is normal.  For more information  and many examples of both rhinoplasty and chin implants, please see the link and the video below

Candidate for a chin implant

Without an exam your question cannot be answered. However, your photos are helpful and you are probably a good candidate for a Chin Augmentation. You will need to see an Oral/Maxillofacial surgeon to see if othognathic surgery, genioplasty or using an implant is best for your specific case. It should be noted that patients with severely weak jaws or abnormally functioning jaws may be better treated with other facial surgery (orthognathic surgery), although a chin augmentation may be an option at a later time. These patients should seek the advice of a plastic surgeon to determine which course is right for them. Here is some information to help you make this decision: Candidates for Chin Augmentation - Patients whose chin profiles are weak but have normally functioning jaws are candidates for Chin Augmentation. Many of these candidates have used injectable fillers in the past to strengthen the protrusion of their chins, but are looking for a permanent solution. If you are one of these patients, then you are a likely candidate for chin augmentation