Do I look like a candidate for platysmaplasty? (Photos)

I'm only 18, but my neck and jawline seem to be suffering from prominent neck thickness. I don't know if I genetically have a thick neck muscle or if there is fat above or below the platysma. When I pinch under my jaw, I dont get very much skin. Ive also noticed that when I tighten my neck muscles, my neck has a much more angular appearance. I want a very striking jawline and not to just go the easy route.

Neck Skin and Platysmal Bands -- VASER Hi Def Liposuction/ThermiRF, Venus Legacy/Thermage/Ultherapy, Botox/Dysport

This can be improved with a neck contouring procedure. I suggest you see an expert in facial shaping with liposuction and/or kybella. The jawline can be contoured for further definition and sculpting with liposuction or botox. Best, Dr. Emer.

Neck Lift

Thank you for your question. While you are too young for a necklift, I believe that a necklift will also be too drastic a procedure for you. Injectibles and laser treatment would be more fitting options for your age and desires. Please consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.Best wishes,

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Best answer: Laser lipolysis

At your young age a platysmaplasty would not be recommended.   I do think that some refinement and contouring can be achieved in your case with laser lipolysis supplemented with a little liposuction.  The treatment area would be the neck and under chin areas.  Very small incisions are needed and it can be done under local, and performed in about an hour. Oftentimes the right solution is better than a bigger procedure.  

David Q. Santos, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Platysma plasty at age 18?

It's very unusual to perform a platysma plasty on patients at 18 years of age. It is true that there can be fatty deposits above and below the platysma muscle, which are removed with a surgical procedure and also requires a platysma plasty.   A thorough examination of the anatomy of the neck( skin, muscle, fat) is required to see what the fullness is caused by. When patients have a weak and recessive chin profile, sometimes placement of a small chin implant can help improve the jawline. For more information many examples, please see the link below

Neck lift at age 18

You should not have a necklift or platysmaplasty at age 18 for the following reasons:You are attractive as you are.  Things will change as you age.Every procedure carries with it risks as well as scarring, interference with the circulation, nerves, etc.The more a person has done at an early age the more it will change the aging process, sometimes for the worse.There may be a lesser procedure (?ThermiTight) that would satisfy your needs.

Richard O. Gregory, MD

UAL cervical facial

Please seek an in person consultation, you may be a candidate for simple liposuction of the area. Liposuction of the cervical facial area is usually done in one hour under local IV sedation. In my practice in the San Francisco Bay Area I have come to the conclusion that the happiest patients are those that have realistic expectation on what a procedure will and won’t do for them. Good luck! 

Dean Vistnes,M.D.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery

#realself #drdeanvistnes #liposuction #cervicalfacial

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Neck contouring in young age

It seems that you have mild deformity; conservative liposuction may be a solution for your problem. However, detailed clinical evaluation is needed to give you best treatment option. Please consult an experienced plastic surgeon with good reputation in face and neck surgery and discuss your options. Good luck.

Zoran Potparic, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

At 18 y/o and without much fat

I would find it very difficult to suggest that you need neck surgery and would even suggest those wanting to do neck procedures on you are not motivated by doing what is right for you.  Your photos already show a tight neck with an excellent angle.  Now if you want to change the contours of your jawline, you certainly could choose to do that through a variety of methods so you have to clarify exactly what you desire and then invest in a consult or two to see what is available to you that may help you achieve your goals.

Curtis Wong, MD

Platysmaplasty Questions

Dear newfacedreams, A platysmaplasty is rarely performed if ever on a patient your age. When patients have complaints due to fatty deposits generally sub-mental and cervical liposuction is performed to provide a more angular jawline. An examination would determine if you would be a candidate for this procedure. See examples in the link below and a male example in the video above. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Am I a Candidate for a Platymaplasty?

Rarely will an 18 year old lady benefit from a platymaplasty.  Liposuction of excess inherited fat deposits beneath the chin, under the playtime, and along the jaw line will give a patient like you an excellent result. This can be confirmed with an examination before surgery.