Brow Lift/Forehead Lift, Blepharoplasty or both? What surgery would benefit me the most? (photos)

I'm 22 years old and I really despise my sagging, hooded eyelids. I love makeup but I am unable to do many makeup looks (winged eyeliner and eyeshadow) because as soon as I rest my eyes it is covered up. I'm not sure whether I should get a blepharoplasty or forehead lift or both.

Browlift vs blepharoplasty

From what I see, a browlift, focusing on the tails of the brow more than the central brow, is your best option. This is readily achieved through a minimal incision approach regardless of your forehead height. 

Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Brow lift or blepharoplasty?

Hi jessikitten, thanks for your question.  It looks like you are holding up your eyebrows to achieve the look you desire.  That usually means a brow lift is what you are looking for rather than a blepharoplasty.  There are a couple of different ways to raise the eyebrows, related to the position of your hairline.  Please consult with your surgeon to determine the best option for your anatomy.  Best of luck to you.

Tom D. Wang, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Brow Lift

Thank you for your question. While the endoscopic brow lift can change the location of your brows, the blepharoplasty procedure may be more suitable for you based on your desires listed here. A blepharoplasty will address your sagging and hooded eyelids. I suggest that you move forward and consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Low Eye Brows

If you like the appearance and location of your brows when manually elevating them you've answered your own question. Now you must decide what technique is best for you. If you have a low hairline you can have an endoscopic brow lift because the technique will raise your hairline. If you want to maintain or lower your hairline position use the Irregular Trichophytic Hairline Incision technique that we described many years ago.

Brow lift/forehead lift and eyelid surgery

A full set of facial facial  photographs are required to make a full determination about what may be needed for two surgical procedures. The  brow lift and forehead lift procedure accomplishs raising the eyebrows when they  presently in a low position. An upper blepharoplasty procedure can accomplish rejuvenating  the upper lids with a conservative skin removal. Ptosis also appears to be present, but  all of this must be documented at the time of the examination and consultation. A forehead lift, ptosis repair, and blepharoplasty can be performed together or separately depending upon the presenting issues. For more information  and many examples, please see the link and the video below

Brow lift or blepharoplasty or both?

A brow lift is what you need to raise your brows and eliminate the excess skin of your upper eyelid. In other words you will" kill two birds with one stone". If you have a very low hairline this can be done endoscopically. However if your hairline is high you need the Irregular Trichophytic Forehead Lift we  developed 35 years ago for patients who have this problem. You don't want your hairline raised and you don't want a visible scar. With this technique hair will grow through the scar. See a very experienced brow lift surgeon who can show you examples of the hairline and you should not see a visible scar. 

Brow Lift/Forehead Lift, Blepharoplasty or both?

Thank you for your question.  Your brows are somewhat low in position contributing to excess skin of your upper eyelids.  You may get some improvement with Xeomin or Botox injections every 3 to 4 months but from your hoped for photograph did not expect to be able to achieve that.  Otherwise, you appear to be a good candidate for browlift with possible simultaneous removal of  small amounts of upper eyelid skin (blepharoplasty).  My best advice is to meet with a board-certified plastic surgeon to review photographs of other patients to see actual results of the surgical procedure to determine if it is appealing to you.  A good candidate for a browlift often gets a wonderful improvement making them look younger, more alert and feminine.  Best wishes,

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Browlift and blepharoplasty

You have much more going on in your upper lids than just the traditional descent of the eyebrows and excess, hooded upper lid skin.

You have flattening of your eyebrows, which can be normal for some people; you have a minimal amount of excess upper eyelid skin; and you have ptosis, or drooping of both your upper eyelids and your eyelashes. That is an anatomic problem that can be corrected with surgery, but you need to seek consultation with an experienced surgeon who frequently performs that operation. 

To ensure you are receiving the highest level of care, seek out a modernly trained, new-school dermatologic surgeon, oculoplastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon who is board certified and fellowship trained in one of these "core four" cosmetic specialties.

Cameron Chesnut
#realself500 Physician

Cameron Chesnut, MD, FAAD, FACMS
Spokane Dermatologic Surgeon

Brow lift vs. blepharoplasty

This is a very common question that my patients often ask me.  Opening of the eyes can certainly be accomplished with a brow lift, often times in conjunction with a conservative upper eyelid blepharoplasty.  The key to determining whether a combination of both or a single procedure alone is what is needed really is determined two fold - 1) understand the look that you are going for and 2) your underlying anatomy.  Ther permanent results of surgery are both da good and bad thing - particularly when you are as young as you are.  We all want you to have the result that you want - but most importantly we want you to do the right thing. During your consultation, I would probably recommend you try a chemical brow lift - it is very popular with my younger patients.  I find that either dysport or Botox work exceedingly well in giving you 3-4mm of elevation. That being said, a full exam would be needed to determine whether you benefit from that or not. I hope some of this helps! It's always best to be as informed as possible.  Best of luck!   

Brow Lift/Forehead Lift, Blepharoplasty or both? What surgery would benefit me the most?

jessikitten,

As you point out, sagging, hooded eyelids affect your appearance significantly. This may be caused by heavy eyelids, a heavy forehead, or both. 

It would take a detailed examination of your forehead and eyes to make this determination. In most cases, if you need a browlift, a blepharoplasty is also necessary. Blepharoplasty however may be performed without a browlift.  At your age, a surgery may be premature. I would ask your surgeon about a neurotoxin injection: Botox/Dysport/Xeomin to provide a subtle lift.  I think a consultation would be important to determine what options are appropriate and safe for you. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon