What are the best Breast Implants?

Silicone feels and looks more natural. What is the best brand or type of implant on the market in your opinion and why? Are saline implants still good?

What are the Best Breast Augmentation Implants?

This is an interesting question and certainly every surgeon will have his or her opinion. Let's look at the science and facts.

Saline implants are fine but they are prone to rippling and rupture. In addition, at least one manufacturer is no longer providing additional warrantee money for the revision surgery for their saline implants if you have a problem.

Silicone gel implants are now mostly all cohesive gel implants. Of the three manufacturers, Allergan, Mentor and Sientra, Sientra has the strongest most cohesive implant according to the research presented in the plastic surgery journals. In addition, the textured implants have less risk of developing a capsule contracture (hardening of the breast implant) and again the research shows that Sientra textured implants produce to lowest capsule contracture rate.

There is little else that is better or worse between the manufacturers. One may be a little more firm and one may have slightly better size ranges but overall, at this point, Sientra seems to have the best on the market given these facts.

Here is a video that might help.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Which Are the Best Breast Implants?

There are three manufacturers of breast implants in the United States.  Two (Mentor and Inamed)  have been around for many years and are exceptionally reliable.  The newest company to the market , Sientra, looks like it will also be a product with service that one can rely on.  I do not think brand matters terribly, but picking an implant that is suited to your body and your desired change is very important.  Find a good local plastic surgeon who can help you individualize the best choice for you.

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Silicone gel implants feel more natural than saline in most women.

Most women get a better result with silicone gel implants.  I personally don't see a difference in outcome based on the manufacturer of the implant.

Saline implants are good, but I prefer silicone gel.

Thanks so much for your question.  In my practice I use Mentor breast implants - both saline and silicone gel. Most of my patients choose silicone gel, and I actually prefer them, as well.  The gel implants feel and look more like natural breasts than saline implants, and they can be placed either under or over the muscle - saline is only placed under the muscle.  The decision comes down to each patient's personal preference.  Saline implants are still a good choice if that is the type of implant the patient prefers.

Breast Implants Question

In general, silicone breast implants feel more natural than saline breast implants.

In the U.S., Natrelle, Mentor and Sientra are safe and widely used breast implants.

Yes, saline breast implants are still good.

To be sure, see two or more experienced, board-certified Plastic Surgeons for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

The Best implants are Sientra Highly Cohesive Gel implants

In my opinion as an investigator for competitors implants, the Sientra implants (of which I have placed hundreds) are the most superior implant available on the market today.  These are the Gummy Bears. They have the best warranty.  Soft yet strong and natural and this is what my patients desire from me and my practice.

Peter J. Capizzi, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon